Like Tree1Likes

Best espresso machine around 5-6K?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best espresso machine around 5-6K?

Hi guys,

I need to get a new espresso machine for my home. Budget around 5-6K. I've been using Krups a few years but they always break on me after a year or so.

I'm not too familiar with European brands like Rancilio, Gaggia etc, but I'm thinking that might be the way to go rather than a Delonghi etc.

Mainly doing espressos, long blacks. Being able to froth good milk is of course a good thing when guests wants a latte, and if it has a coffee bean grinder built-in, that's great as well.

Would you recommend a semi-automatic?

Thoughts are welcomed. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you can't get a Rancilio for that price...

Ah ok, well I'm a little flexible on price. I thought Rancilio Silva range had something around that price, but I might be wrong.

I'm a big coffee drinker and for kicks I just use a simple 2 cup stovetop peculator. It ends out using more coffee than in general but I love it as it's quick and reasonably hassle free and alot cheaper than machines.

May not be the answer but as you said, 'thoughts are welcomed'.

After a geoexpat thread which effectively told me "Go for it!" I bought a nespresso machine.

Much cheaper than your price range, and I absolutely love it. One espresso every morning, and could not be easier to make. More importantly, it is consistently good, with a huge crema.

Of course there are at least 2 downfalls... 1. The coffee per gram is more expensive because you have to buy their capsules (But conversely you do not waste even 1 gram due to leaving it out too long or spillage, and I think it is good quality coffee)

2. Not as good as the top coffee machines of course, but I think the convenience and consistency makes up for this.

The purple ones are my favourite. They're all I buy now except some lungos for the father in law.

Pop into the nespresso shop in elements and have a try.

Afterthought: WOW - I really seem like I work for them. Well - I don't.

Pump > Steam. Steam is too hot. It will extract more of the bitter elements from the bean. Ideal temp is just a few degrees F below boiling. Check the crema (the gold/white-ish/brownish layer on top of the espresso) for a visual cue of how accurate your extraction temp is. Make sure your beans are properly ground for espresso.

Where is Skyhook when we need him....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Where is Skyhook when we need him....
    Thanks Matt...

Unfortunately we live in HK which is a fair pain in the arse when it comes to buying espresso gear, that I admit, and I do sympathise with master.

Personally I prefer twin boiler arrangements, ie independent boilers for the steam arm and the group head.

I remember when Rancilio Silvia's used to cost $650AUS, but then the coffee geek website appeared and prices shot up sharply, which is good for the distributors, and in my mind it is still only a $650AUS machine. It isn't worth more than that.Plus they go through seals like no tomorrow, and it's VEeeery Slow to energise between extractions and steam, basically a bit useless should you want to make 4 cups of coffee within 6 minutes. Not going to happen with a single boiler unit like that.

I ended up with a Sunbeam EM6910, a twin boiler unit, which we have had for the past 3 years, which has never missed a beat. I am extremely pleased by this machine, it never disappoints, and with some skill produces professional coffee results..

You can't buy Sunbeam in HK, they are only sold in Australia & NZ, but if you have any Australian friends returning from Aus after Xmas who wont have much luggage ( the unit weighs 10kg by itself ) then get one of them to buy it for you. It would also be advisable to buy a good conical burr grinder either the Sunbeam EMO480 $200AUS or Brevilles killer fab BCG800 $300 smart grinder, are reasonably priced, and worth considering.

I am not a big fan of the cheaper Italian espresso machines either, say anything under $1300US (say a VBM Domo Bar semi auto price point) isn't going to last long and will break down from my past experience, they are like owning an Alfa Romeo, which I learnt my lesson there early, too lol NEVER AGAIN !haha.

The Sunbeam will out live/perform all of the sub $1000US Italian espresso machines, and there is excellent parts / service support from Sunbeam Australia should you need descaling tablets, or a new water intake filter etc etc. Only a phone call away, and they are happy to post things to HKG.

Also, there is a matter of water capacity, the Sunbeam holds 3 litres of water, which comes in very handy when you have 10 guests over, no worries... You're going to be awfully frustrated with a sub $1000 US Italian espresso machine with its puny single boiler and your guests are going to get bored waiting for you to hurry up lol

Oh yeah, prices, I almost forgot.. We paid $6500.00HKD for ours including the EMO480 burr grinder, but that was when the Aussie dollar was much lower than it is now, so it's probably going to cost you the best part of $8000 at today s exchange rates, or around $6000HKD just for the EM6910.

One of my double shot extractions below, using the Beamer..

Worth the effort if you can manage getting one....

Last edited by Skyhook; 08-12-2011 at 06:35 PM.

Here is a comparison between coffee machines up to the value of $2300AUS.

Last edited by Skyhook; 08-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.

First similar thread is 'dialysis machine' - Nice.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast