Suggestion for DLSR camera

Closed Thread

Suggestion for DLSR camera

I am beginner to DSLR camera. I like to know which is recommended camera and lens for beginner (with price)??

what is good place to buy camera ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph098765:
    I am beginner to DSLR camera. I like to know which is recommended camera and lens for beginner (with price)??

what is good place to buy camera ?
    Your best bet is to tell us what type of things you are looking to photograph first before anyone should recommend you a lens.

As for the DSLR camera itself, get the body only and not get it with the kit lens. You want to go to a shop a physically handle the cameras, no good in seeing a certain camera with the specs you want buy ended up finding you can't grip it very well due it being too small/big.

Also consider what brand your friends and family uses. If say they all use Nikon, then if you get one as well you can borrow equipment (like lenses) off them.

My first DSLR was the Canon 550d, and after a few weeks regretted getting the kit lens with it. It's a fantastic camera, well recommended, some might say it's slightly too much for a beginner.

I have just bought recently a Panasonic Lumix G3 with the two kit lens.

It is small and compact 3/4 type camera which has been great to use. A photographer friend said they are just as good as an entry DSLR but half the size.

panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/g3/index.html

I've been very surprised about the photos it produces and I'm certainly not a photographer.

I got the panasonic gf1 which came with two lens. I had to buy an extra lens which settled me back 7000 HK dollars as the original to lense I thought was inconvenient to use. one lense was for still camara shots, it didn;t have zoom for it. THe other was a telescope sort of lens which was for long distance such as concerts or sports events.

Also, I found the camara very annoing to use and that that when trying to take picture of people, they had to keep very still. maybe I am a noob and the settings was wrong. But when I tried my friends Nikon, the Nikon was able to take great pictures with people moving as well. No smudge appearences or unclear pictures.

I am looking to get a Nikon now. Once you use or try the best, you don;t want to go back. I don;t even use my panasonic now.

I would suggest an entry level model from either Canon or Nikon. Kit lenses that come with the camera's these days have come a long way and actually provide decent optical quality and versatility for the price. Until you have a specific type of photography or lens that you need, the standard 18-55 lenses that come with entry level bodies should be fine.

The canon 1100d and Nikon 3100d are both entry level bodies that are around 4800-5300HKD with the standard kit lens. I had a quick look at the two last september for a friend and recommended the Nikon. Image quality will be about the same, the Nikon had a slightly bigger LCD screen (3'' vs 2.7'') and a guide mode for beginners explaining the different camera settings. Both felt solid and well built but the Nikon had a higher end feel to it.

If you go to Wing Shing/Man Shing photo supply at Tung CHoi street in Mong Kok, they should be around 200-300hkd cheaper than at Broadway or Fortress. There's also a mall called SimCity in MK where you can find camera prices a further 2-300 cheaper depending on which model but ask and make sure if it has a valid HK warranty or not.

I'm also a DSLR beginner and bought a Canon 550D a couple of months ago. Brilliant camera which came with the kit 18-55mm kit lens. I can't find anything negative to say about the camera, perfect for a beginner like myself and a little cheaper than the older 1100D that muerte852 was talking about.

I highly recommend buying a decent entry level DSLR with a kit lens, as until you really try it out for yourself you won't know which kind of lens you would prefer to buy. I don't see the point of beginners buying expensive lenses until you know that DSLR photography is really for you, with a kit lens you get a decent quality lens for a far more affordable price.

Last edited by Cheesindave; 15-01-2012 at 07:07 PM.