buying mobile phone in hong kong.

Closed Thread

Red face buying mobile phone in hong kong.

Hi all, I want to buy chinese mobile phone in hong kong. Can any one tell which is the best
    chinese brand in this category? and where could i find it at a cheaper price?

You want a Chinese brand name phone or a phone with Chinese language? If you are looking for a Chinese brand name phone I would avoid it at all costs, they are cheap but are going to breakdown in a matter of a month or two. The warranty normally takes about 1 month to fix also.

wat abt the CECT brand? i thought of buying CECT T9100 ? any comments ? if chinese brands are bad then which brands should i go for ? Nokia, sonyerricson, motorola etc all these phones will cost me the same as in my home country(India). Please help.

If you are after a cheap phone, just buy a used one by a reputable brand, basic Nokias usually last forever. You should be able to find used phones in Causeway Bay or Mong Kok.

Where in Causeway Bay ?

Quote Originally Posted by automatic:
    If you are after a cheap phone, just buy a used one by a reputable brand, basic Nokias usually last forever. You should be able to find used phones in Causeway Bay or Mong Kok.
    where in Causeway Bay ? please tell me the exact location and the shop ?

What rubbish, PRC made phones don't break in a month or two.
    However, the OS/interface is often only in Chinese and, even if in English, rather idiosyncratic. Frequently there is also no English T9 or similar predictive text input.
    Finally, in case that there are problems with the phone, you will not get any support in most places around the world.

And the best place to buy a phone (especially a PRC make) is definitely the building with all the mobile phone shops on Argyle Street in Mongkok.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    And the best place to buy a phone (especially a PRC make) is definitely the building with all the mobile phone shops on Argyle Street in Mongkok.
    Any specific shop in Argyle Street? i am new to the place.

Have no idea of a specific shop, I just remember having seen some in Causeway Bay while walking around, so I suggest you do the same.

I used www.expansys.com to buy a phone last time. They are based in the UK, but still the price was better than what I could get from any more reputable shop in HK (didn't try Mong Kok). And the shipping is free!

I am sure there are MANY shops in Mongkok for cell phones. I know there is a mini mall called Sim City with many little shops selling various electronic accessories. You could probably find something cheap there and also bargain with the merchants. I would check the equipment though and make sure it works before you buy.

Sim City, 47-51 Shan Tung Street, Mongkok, Kowloon

Else, Shan Tung has a bunch of other stores, just follow Nathan road south.