Looking for appliances

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for appliances

Looking for a good store to buy a refrigerator ,washing machine and dryer [heavy duty] -also can you recommend some good brands for the above....am new to HK

You get plenty of selection at the bigger Fortress stores (http://www.fortress.com.hk ) which are branded "Fortress World", but also at the Broadway chain and many other places. Many of the brands in HK are maintained by Gilman, and they have a shop themselves in Causeway Bay which has a smaller selection, but it might make sense to buy from there if they have what you want and you want to buy a maintenance contract. Price competition is pretty effective in HK, so you won't generally find huge differences in prices between the big shops. You'll probably get slightly better prices from smaller local stores, but personally I prefer to pay a small premium for the comfort of dealing with a big chain.

As to which brand, for fridges I don't think there's much to choose - it's more a matter of getting the size, colour etc that you want. Any of the international brands would be fine.

For washing machines it's really going to depend on the space you have. For heavy duty drying you generally need a separate stand-alone dryer - the combined washer-dryers aren't very effective for big loads. But if you're tight on space then I used to have a Thonmson Vedette washer-dryer which was one of the most effective combined machines I have ever used, and has an unusual (to me) design where the drum loads from the top (but still spins about a horizontal axis). The build quality was also very solid. I bought it from Gilman. http://www.ghome.com.hk/frontpage.asp The current version of the mahcine I had seems to be this one. http://www.ghome.com.hk/search_produ...productid=1139

Last edited by PDLM; 11-09-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Thanks PDLM....will check out Fortress World ...I am presently staying in Central ...where is the closest store...Melbourne Plaza ?

Yes, probably - it depends where exactly in Central. There's also one in Des Voeux Road which has home appliances up on the second floor.

Also, look for the manufacturers showrooms - on their websites. You'll often find one or two highly discounted display units for sale (usually with warranty)

miele and subzero appliances

was wondering if anyone has any information about dealers for the above appliances,or are the showrooms the only places we can go get them? thanks.

What exactly do you mean by a "dealer"?

Miele Hong Kong

Miele I am pretty sure only deals its products via its own showroom. To maintain customer service that they are famed for globally.

Might be a good idea to contact them direct.

There's a Phillips dealer/showroom up on gas light road. (Not sure if that is technically the name of the road.) Central in the MS area, roughly.

The "gas lamp street" is Duddell Street, but I have a feeling that Philips showroom may have recently turned into a Siemens one - there's certainly on of those on the junction of Duddell & Ice House Street.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast