Affordable art

Affordable art

Hey everyone - I have a bit of free time from my work these days and I was thinking of setting up a small gallery (from my office) of affordable art - mostly paintings, at affordable rates ~ HKD 150 - 200 range per piece for a medium sized artwork.

I was wondering if there are plenty of other 'galleries' that exist or is this a left-out field for many? I went to Ikea and a few street shops, but most were either too traditional, or too pricey for my taste. I was wondering if I could generate enough response to see if it is possible to start this as a part-time business

Would appreciate any comments and/or feedback

cheers,
    Vicky D

Hi, If you manage to set one up, maybe you can find an artist who could restore some of my oil paintings, one is over 100 years old. They started to peel or whatever and some would need some kind of protective coating, I think. I looked every where and can not find anybody. I will keep an eye on your post.

It seems as if there are a lot of galleries in HK. Plus you have the artist place across the border in SZ.

You are thinking of selling inexpensive and contemporary? Oil and water based paintings? Copies or originals or both?

Stanley market would probably be your main competition. I would be surprised if you can get anything decent in stock for +/-HKD200-300.
    Would love to see it happen though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    It seems as if there are a lot of galleries in HK. Plus you have the artist place across the border in SZ.

You are thinking of selling inexpensive and contemporary? Oil and water based paintings? Copies or originals or both?
    Again in Stanley- on the parallel path to the Stanley market there is an artist in there, Mr Chow or Mr Chan, ho is a very talented replica and original painter. I am sure that he would be able to touch up the paint and offer advice on protecting it.
    If you know where Lucy's is you're on the right street- if you have Lucy's on your right keep going about 30 metres and he is on the left.

Thank you I will try to find the gentleman, I think it is weather or in the moving they got damaged. a real pity!

Unless you've mis-typed the price it's hard to see how it would work as a business. HK$150-200 would hardly cover the cost of the canvas and paint so artists would basically be doing the work for free. Of course there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but if I was going to produce work for free then I'd rather it be displayed in a public space, give it to a hospital, school etc than give it to a commercial gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    Again in Stanley- on the parallel path to the Stanley market there is an artist in there, Mr Chow or Mr Chan, ho is a very talented replica and original painter. I am sure that he would be able to touch up the paint and offer advice on protecting it.
    If you know where Lucy's is you're on the right street- if you have Lucy's on your right keep going about 30 metres and he is on the left.
    Anyone know of another painter who can do copies/originals?