Like Tree9Likes

Looking For Dehumidifier

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-HK:
    Got a Panasonic and a Mitsubishi. Despite the Mitsu being the most expensive one, the Panasonic one is brilliant. Always fills up with water much quicker than the Mitsu.

Something like this one: Panasonic - HA
    If you've got a hybrid model such as the one in the link, you should also be aware that they are effective, but not at all energy efficient. I've compared compressor vs desiccant types, and the desiccant ones are more effective at low (<50) humidity but they burn a lot more electricity.

Generally, there isn't much reason to go with a desiccant in Hong Kong. We generally don't have to deal with low temp/high humidity environments, and for household use there's no reason to be going down below 50%RH.

For the Mitsubishi models, you can set it to suck continuously and the machine will work all day. However, I prefer to set it to 60% and once it reaches that level, it stops. I find it to be quite comfortable at this level. The Mitsubishi models are very energy efficient and quiet..

I'm using Kelvinator KD3220PH, bought it 4 years ago and its still running very well.
    Welcome to DSC

Just bought two from fortress times square. De longhi has some discounts and from looking among the range, which was pretty good , they seem to be the most energy efficient for the price. Also , we speak from personal experience, my hubby and I found that fortress offered the best in price, e Ben if not exactly the cheapest. We also bought a white Westinghouse which also came in differing capacities but had a grade 1 efficiency . It all depends on how large your apartment is for the capacity of humidifier you need.

Fortress = best price - Not! Try price.com.hk for comparison.

I just bought a small Frigidaire FD20GH for $1600 from Liberty in Sai Kung, and it's too noisy for me. Had to turn it off overnight as the hum just gets on my nerves. Surprisingly noisy, I'd say, for such a small machine. seems to be doing the job for which it was purchased, but I regret buying it.

My daughter has an apparently silent Telefunken that they bought at Fortress. I have slept in the room where it's located and never heard a peep out of it.

As for trying to gauge the sound volume while in the store, probably not very practical. I could barely hear a whisper from this Frigidaire in the shop. Very different story in my small flat.

Rowenta (brand new) is noisy too - on and off machine rattling. It does the work though but perhaps not to be put in bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Obaing2011:
    Rowenta (brand new) is noisy too - on and off machine rattling. It does the work though but perhaps not to be put in bedroom.
    See post #5.

Too noisy for anywhere in the same apartment, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by KateInHongKong:
    Had to turn it off overnight as the hum just gets on my nerves.
    You're not suppose to run it when you are sleeping as it sucks the moisture out of the air that your skin needs. I normally turn it on when I go to work in the room when my wardrobe is and off when I'm in the apartment.

I guess you are one of those people who don't read the instruction manual. let me see if I can find one online.
    http://www.mitsubishi-ryoden.com.hk/...s/doc/ib/8.pdf
    page 5- ok not exactly sleeping with it running but you get the idea