XBox 360 US Version, Halo 3

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    deleteduser

Hong Kong's official English version should be available now. Just look for PAL on the box.

PAL? I thought we can't use PAL games on the HK system. I thought it was NTSC only.

deleteduser

1) PAL and NTSC are pretty much irrelevant nowadays, and only used for region encoding. If you have an HDTV, it is neither NTSC nor PAL.

2) Non-HDTV TVs in Hong Kong are PAL anyway. This was the most annoying thing when I first came here from Canada in 2003.. the 50 Hz flickering TV's everywhere would give me a headache. Thankfully, you don't see too many TV's like that anymore

Be careful about XBox DVD Player

AudioDesign: My husband bought the DVD player for his XBox and found out that it does not play ALL DVDs. We had rented the 4 disc set of Planet Earth and it wouldn't work. Called Microsoft and they said it didn't work for all movies but they couldn't say which ones. What a waste of a $30 rental.

Plus when he returned the DVD player to the game store they would only give a credit - no refund so now he is busy buying games...like Halo3 which he hasn't stopped playing.

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyInToronto:
    AudioDesign: My husband bought the DVD player for his XBox and found out that it does not play ALL DVDs. We had rented the 4 disc set of Planet Earth and it wouldn't work. Called Microsoft and they said it didn't work for all movies but they couldn't say which ones. What a waste of a $30 rental.

Plus when he returned the DVD player to the game store they would only give a credit - no refund so now he is busy buying games...like Halo3 which he hasn't stopped playing.
    First of all, it's an HD-DVD player you bought, not DVD player (the 360 already plays DVD's)

Secondly, you may have rented the Blu-Ray version, which will definitely NOT play on the XBOX 360.

Third, it's also possible that you rented DVD's that were region encoded, and your 360 does not match that region.

But there's really no telling what you guys did wrong with that rental, without more information I don't think it was a good reason to return the HD-DVD player though.

OK it was an HD-DVD player.
    The DVDs were HD not Blu-Ray.
    The DVDs were rented in Toronto the same place the box was bought.

I saw the DVD work at the store on a $500 DVD player. And like I said, when we called Microsoft they CONFIRMED that yes the XBox HD-DVD players do not play all DVD's. It's hit or miss; not calulated like wrong region, etc.

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyInToronto:
    OK it was an HD-DVD player.
    The DVDs were HD not Blu-Ray.
    The DVDs were rented in Toronto the same place the box was bought.

I saw the DVD work at the store on a $500 DVD player. And like I said, when we called Microsoft they CONFIRMED that yes the XBox HD-DVD players do not play all DVD's. It's hit or miss; not calulated like wrong region, etc.
    Yes, you need to make sure you are trying to play movies with correct region encoding.