XBox 360 US Version, Halo 3

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

XBox 360 US Version, Halo 3

Does anybody know where the cheapest place to buy an XBox360 core system is (USA Version?) I know its price dropped to $279 in America. What about a Wii (USA)? Or PS3 (USA)? I don't need it modded, and I already have a step-down converter.

Seems like PS3 has the weakest game selection of the three.

SSP or WanChai maybe? And do they take VISA credit card?

Also, is Halo 3 available as well?

Thanks

Last edited by audiodesign; 25-09-2007 at 12:22 PM.

deleteduser

There really is no reason to buy a US version for Hong Kong - all the same games are released on the same day (and often earlier, as is the case with Halo 3 which you should be able to find in stores today).

Many games will play on both console regions, although many will be region-locked. If you buy a local version console, games will be much easier to obtain. If you buy a US version, you'll only be able to buy US region games (and non-region specific games), and those are often hard to get after the initial launch.

The only reason I'd recommend a US version 360 is if you plan on moving back to the US in the near future.

Ok maybe you are right. Do you know the price of the local version 360 and where?

If it is significantly cheaper then I will probably get that one. Do they take visa at the video game shops?

The most basic core system, as I don't have a 1080P HDTV. What about the HD DVD player add on?

deleteduser

You don't have to buy it at a local shop, the prices are likely to be the same at Toys R Us, where you can indeed use your credit card at no extra charge. The small shops are where you'd go to get a modded console, etc.

Buy the Pro version, or the Halo 3 version (if you like the green colour). Don't get the Core Edition, as it does not come with a hard drive at all. Don't bother with the HD-DVD addon if you don't plan on watching HD-DVD movies. It has nothing to do with games whatsoever.

Do I really need the hard drive? I'm not planning on storing anything on there, and you can still use memory cards and flash media with adapters right?

I was planning on watching HD DVD movies but maybe i'll wait it out until the selection and hardware prices get better.

I heard that Bluray was winning the format war anyway? High def DVDs don't seem to be too popular outside of HMV's online site.

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by audiodesign:
    Do I really need the hard drive? I'm not planning on storing anything on there, and you can still use memory cards and flash media with adapters right?

I was planning on watching HD DVD movies but maybe i'll wait it out until the selection and hardware prices get better.

I heard that Bluray was winning the format war anyway? High def DVDs don't seem to be too popular outside of HMV's online site.
    You don't NEED the hard drive, but it makes life a lot easier. Even if you don't plan on downloading to it right now, chances are you will in the future. Besides, games store their save files on it. And in the case of Halo 3, you will only be able to use the advanced editing and video features if you have a hard drive. Trust me, get the one with the hard drive

Well hardware prices are pretty good right now - if you have an XBOX 360, it's only an extra $100 USD for a player. I don't think a standalone will beat that anytime soon.

Blu-Ray is probably winning the war right now, but that doesn't mean anything for the future, or even whether there will ever be a clear winner at all.

There was a rumor about a dual format hd/blu ray player but i've never seen one.

deleteduser

They are out there, but expensive and pointless for the most part. Most movies come out in both formats anyway.

Halo 3

heads up.. apparently HALO 3 is mandarin dubbed currently. english version is not out yet. (checked to toys r us, hmv and 188 centre).
    my very excited bf was disappointed but playing it already.
    unless anyone knows where/if english version is available.

Be very careful. Ask specifically if it is the Taiwanese version (which is what Microsoft are selling). Many shops are not telling customers. There is no option on the official Hong Kong version to have an English soundtrack.

A handful of places are selling the Singapore version (which is NTSC-J like the Hong Kong Xbox to customers they know or who ask or beg very nicely) for about HK$400. There is a huge storm brewing about the people who pre-ordered the game and got this and those who queued at Toys R Us for the launch and were not told the game was in Mandarin Chinese, especially the non-Chinese in the queue.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast