Like Tree21Likes

yard sale!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    Why oh why can people not acvept that others have different experiences.....
    I do accept that and hope I made that clear in my reply. By the way, when I first came to HK I too lived in Kwun Tong....on our estate was a 2nd hand furniture store, a second hand computer/phone/gadget store and a second hand DVD/CD place.....just that I know of......it was the same in Sau Mau Ping just down the road! Sorry! Jus' saying!!

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Bryant, everyone you know uses taobao? Nobody I know does. It's so convenient to just walk to the shops in HK.
    Look, I know you aspire to be the chair of the Ramblers Association (Hong Kong Division), but let's face it, there is nothing convenient about the grind that is shopping in HK, especially in minging hot humidity being busteld to and fro and confronted with indifferent and rude staff.

Please explain how this can possibly compare with the convenience of buying online and have a nice day..

Or maybe these flea markets are the only ones mentioned here because this site is mostly used by expats who tend to live in expat areas? Although I would not call the Siu lam - Tuen Mun an expat area.

Also, I notice a lot of 'transactions' over the MTR fences (where they don't cross it so they don't have to pay for their fare), I know some of these are new products but I've definitely seen 2nd hand stuff too....yes I am nosy

I agree that a lot won't, but I reckon a lot make out they wouldn't but actually do. Chinese people are very proud, my parents would buy 2nd hand but they wouldn't go around telling people! In contrast whereas going charity / vintage/ thrift shopping is a 'cool' thing in many other places!

emmie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Look, I know you aspire to be the chair of the Ramblers Association (Hong Kong Division), but let's face it, there is nothing convenient about the grind that is shopping in HK, especially in minging hot humidity being busteld to and fro and confronted with indifferent and rude staff.

Please explain how this can possibly compare with the convenience of buying online and have a nice day..
    Buying online and then having to wait in to receive things?

You may be right that everyone (except me and everyone I know) is buying things on taobao, whatever it is, but I'm just saying I'd be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Buying online and then having to wait in to receive things?
    Ummm, I'm getting a picture of you BB......poor bachelor, lives in village house....alone...

I order stuff online or over the phone, it takes between 2 days and a week to arrive depending where in the world it came from, (bloody Raspberry PI being an exception of course!!). I either have my helper sign for it or have it delivered to my office where the concierge signs for it...

I prefer to spend two hours on the beach with my kids, wife and dog than sweating my way through shops.

Of course, I have to say, I freaking well HATE shopping anyway. Add poor service, crap quality and black hearted selfishness into the mix and I'm online all the way baby!
    Last edited by bryant.english; 02-07-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Yes, I do live alone these days, but I work in an office with other people. Sometimes people send me stuff (unsolicited) by courier and I wish they wouldn't, it's a real headache. Anyway I am also not a shopper, the only things I buy are food, books and magazines.

Fine. all locals love second hand crap. i was making it all up when i said.....many locals dont like second hand stuff.

Second hand shops far out number shops selling new stuff...they can be found on every street corner... they are as common as 7-11.

Everyone buys used and pretends it's new.

Sheesh.

bookblogger and Claire ex-ax like this.

BB: No clothes? They must LOVE you in the office!

bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    BB: No clothes? They must LOVE you in the office!
    He makes his own Carang, BookBlogger is the second best dressed man in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuMaiTaiTai:
    I don't believe it is only the expats and overseas chinese who are interested in a bargain, I think they just go around saying they wouldn't buy 2nd hand out of pride when in reality a lot do !
    Spot on. People saying they don't do 2nd hand and what they actually do in practice aren't the same ffs. If not then I have no idea why those 2nd hand stores on the estates survive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile
    Last edited by Loz_2; 02-07-2012 at 12:32 AM.