Like Tree2Likes

Breadmakers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Breadmakers

Does anyone have a breadmaker? Any good? What make?? Thinking of buying one and need to the know the lowdown.Thanks!!!!!

We love ours

Hi

We have a Kenwood which we bought at Fortress, and we use it almost every day, using a recipe from the booklet. It makes beautiful bread, although we did fiddle with the recipe to get it to be just what we wanted. We make a light wholemeal loaf with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and linseed, and it's wonderful. I searched for breadmix, like we used to use in Australia, but our local supermarket didn't have it. I've found best results come from using bread flour - our recipe uses both white and wholemeal flour, and I find the cheap yeast from the supermarket to be better than the Hovis sachets.

We got sick of the ultra-light white bread in the stores, and since we're a family of five, we didn't want to spend a fortune at our local bakery.

Hope that's of some use.

newgirl likes this.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

5 people, wholemeal flour, daily baking.

You sound like prime candidates for Golden Temple flour from Canada.It comes in 25kg bags, and it used by most Indian restaurants for their breads.

It tastes terrific, it's cheap(er) and they deliver!

newgirl likes this.

Store bread is horrible, compared to home baked.

G'day, trocadero,

We have been baking bread ever since we renovated our kitchen, installing a TGC fan forced gas oven, which has been a little ripper. A couple of photo's of a poppy seed loaf I made just below.

Name:  1P1140738.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  577.0 KB
    Name:  1P1140678.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  208.2 KB

I am getting a bit fed up with the high price of plain flour at our local Welcome though.

Now wondering where we can purchase 50LB bags of flour within the Tuen Mun/Tsuen Wan/Yuen Long area ?

I am aware that there is a Lamsoon flour mill in Tai Po, but its too far to achieve any worthwhile cost saving, once transport costs are factored in.

From what I understand, Golden Temple bread flour is around $115.00 per 50LB bag. Is this about right ?

Also, can bakers yeast be purchased in larger quantities at a much better price ? If so where ?

We have been using Hovas Yeast, but you end up using twice as much as you usually need to get the desired loaf rise, making it pretty pricey stuff.

Any suggestions ?

So any idea where one can get 50LB/25KG bags of plain flour ? Any chance of getting delivered, and if so how much all up.

Can you buy 1KG quantities of bakers yeast, too ?

Many thanks...

Take a wander around the ground floor of Chung King Mansion and you will eventually find your way blocked by stacks of sacks of Golden Temple. Or give New Delhi Stores a ring and place your order. For yeast have you considered a sourdough starter? Or if you are feeling adventurous how about wild fermentation using kombucha?

http://groups.google.com/group/Wild-...1d38fcb1ecc732

Thank you KIA and Kombuchakid for your info, TST is way out of our way, Yuen Long ended up being the easiest, being a fast 10 minute drive away.

I ended up getting a 35KG bag of flour while we were doing our weekly shop, from the main Indian grocery store in Wang Fat Path Yuen Long, for $100 .

Last edited by Skyhook; 12-12-2007 at 10:22 PM.

Store-breads - yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by trocadero:
    Hi

We have a Kenwood which we bought at Fortress, and we use it almost every day, using a recipe from the booklet. It makes beautiful bread, although we did fiddle with the recipe to get it to be just what we wanted. We make a light wholemeal loaf with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and linseed, and it's wonderful. I searched for breadmix, like we used to use in Australia, but our local supermarket didn't have it. I've found best results come from using bread flour - our recipe uses both white and wholemeal flour, and I find the cheap yeast from the supermarket to be better than the Hovis sachets.

We got sick of the ultra-light white bread in the stores, and since we're a family of five, we didn't want to spend a fortune at our local bakery.

Hope that's of some use.
    Diggin' up this interesting ole one, coz tired of eating our dry dense, homebaked creations using Hovis yeast - a hit'n'miss affair of late! Still beats stuck paying hefty prices for wholewheat, seedy loaves in HK - another daily basic on the up'n'up... Wish our dough could rise as quickly/well

Friends have done searches on local sites, and the Kenwood popped up. According to opinions, the Kenwood breadmaker here - though Brit designed - is PRC-made, and apparently, if frequently used, doesn't last as long as say the Zojirushi brand (Jap-made).

Will be checking out breadmaker models in SOGO, Wing On, Sincere, and Broadway these coupla evenings.

Any suggestions/ideas to add?

(Useful tips and views in Eng on here 'bout sourcing/types of bread flour, yeasts available etc - thanx.)

For some reason there is a cluster of bakeries in the lanes off Tong Chong St in Quarry Bay, best of the lot is Saffron Bakery which has amazing french breads and sourdough.
    They also have a branch in Stanely Plaza and I have been subsisting on their stuff now since September.

Emmie, have a look at the Wing On website they have good deals for online orders.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast