Like Tree27Likes

Children swimming Wet suit

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by babyethan:
    actually my 1 year old caught a bit of a cold last week after swimming in an unheated indoor pool with its airconditioning turned on to HIGH and COLD.... I'm also looking for the correct type of swimwear (wetsuit?!) for him ......
    Yeah, generally, aircons and whatever are set too COLD in unheated indoor pools here - puts off really little ones when first few times paddling in waters with their folks. OR, their folks are too worried about over-chilling their babes So, think penguinsix's post/guess is spot on.

Haven't bought one of these swimming bodysuits (with added UV protection) as no real need as my tot prefers warm beach edge but 3 weeks ago saw ones for 12-24 month olds on 'final sale' in Mothercare along with discounted suncreams, sunglasses, etcetra (Ocean Terminal in TST, but available in Windsor House branch, too). Hm, end-July...August, a coupla bigger Marks & Spencer had 'on-sale' ones (still pricey: HK$199!) for 18-month-olds-and-plus.

I've bought my daughter "goma" brand wetsuit & it does the job. It is thick enough to keep her warm but soft enough that she can move. I just bought it from a local sport shop. I cannot justify buying branded Adidas or Speedo ones when they outgrow them.

You can also find them on sale at Jusco in Kornhill. I saw some kid wetsuits (short sleeved body suits) as well as zip-up jackets and vests in the wetsuit material. Various Disney characters, all selling for around $200 (less for vest/jackets).

Actually I see some of the children in my son's 4yo-5yo swim class wearing them. Although there's only 4 to a class, they do spend a lot of time sitting on the edge of the pool after swimming their turn - as the instructor takes them over one by one. At times they do get a bit cold so I can see why parents might want their kids a bit more insulated (Actually I bought a swim vest for my son too, but he refuses to wear it!)

Last edited by peainpod; 16-09-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Must......stay......white

I know vroom might chastise me for going off-subject but I had to share this.....

http://behindthewall.nbcnews.com/_ne...oid-a-tan?lite

The UV things will NOT stop your child getting cold if there is aircon or even a stiff breeze outside. I was wearing one yesterday, as was my son, and in the morning shade on the beach we actually felt chilled after being in the (warm) sea. Much better once the wet items were removed!

Edit: with regard to wetsuits, I reckon they'd be too bulky if you're teaching a child to swim.

Last edited by Satay Sue; 17-09-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyethan:
    actually my 1 year old caught a bit of a cold last week after swimming in an unheated indoor pool with its airconditioning turned on to HIGH and COLD.... I'm also looking for the correct type of swimwear (wetsuit?!) for him ......
    Cold water is not going to give your son a cold. a virus did that.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by vroom:
    common sense prevail at last. Thanks
    vroom, this is a wetsuit:

Adult wetsuits start at around $1000 for cheap ones. I've never seen one for kids. They probably exist, but to to be of any use, they have to fit very snugly (they insulate by trapping a thin layer of static water next to the skin) and kids grow so fast that a suit isn't going to fit properly for any length of time.

It seems that what you were asking for kid's sun protection or UV suit (as has been pointed out by at least two other posters).
    Last edited by jgl; 17-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.

There is really no point trying to help vroom. He never posts enough information to know WHAT he's looking for. I think he has no idea himself half the time. See the Taiwan travel thread for more examples.

jgl and HowardCoombs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    There is really no point trying to help vroom. He never posts enough information to know WHAT he's looking for. I think he has no idea himself half the time. See the Taiwan travel thread for more examples.
    Hmm... thanks for pointing that and saving me future effort. Gotta lurve posters who expect people to read their minds.

Now... where is the ignore list kept?
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Here is Taiwan thread

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/2...ml#post2136350

Let people read and decide how great your answer was in respect to the question. See other answers also and my thanks to them.