Like Tree19Likes

Tailored shirts? How much?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    I thought cold wash wouldn't clean the shirt properly, or does it? I wash mine at 40 degrees...
    Agree, would love to know how to keep shirts white and clean with cold water and no whitening agents?

Thanks JJ, for praising me and abusing me at the same time...

justjoe86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    Thanks JJ, for praising me and abusing me at the same time...
    Anytime sir.

Go to Bangkok and make a holiday out of it at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Go to Bangkok and make a holiday out of it at the same time.
    You reckon Bangkok is cheaper than HKG for tailored shirts?

Actually quite a few of my shirts are from there (the 10 year old ones basically). Any suggestions for tailors there?

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Agree, would love to know how to keep shirts white and clean with cold water and no whitening agents?
    Don't sweat like a sex offender...and if you do get an undershirt.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

Actually quite a few of my shirts are from there (the 10 year old ones basically). Any suggestions for tailors there?

What I want to know is: How do you manage to get shirts to last ten years?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What I want to know is: How do you manage to get shirts to last ten years?
    Buy them white...wear them as beige after 5 years, wear them as yellow at ten years.
    jgl, East_coast and Satay Sue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Ascot Chang - have not gone lately but have read their prices now start at $1150. Personally I think you are paying their high rents.

Disclaimer - I own ZERO poly-cotton shirt, only natural fabrics for me. I also own ZERO non-iron shirts, personal preference as I have issue with all the chemicals they apply to the fabric.

I only wear cotton or linen shirts. I find they retain less heat than any blends. If I want to remain crisp all day, then I wear a cotton undershirt. The elbows and shoulders will wrinkle but that to me is normal. I find the weaves (slightly thicker) are less prone to wrinkles, but are not as crisp.

The biggest advantage of tailored shirts is you can get a high arm scye (armhole) which means there is less bunching of material underneath arms, a more tailored fit, and can get exactly what you want in terms of collar, sleeves, pockets (or none). I also get a slightly longer body so the shirt stays tucked, 8 buttons in front so less unflatttering exposure, a slightly larger left wrist so it covers the watch, and real pearl buttons for the added touch of luxury. You can also specify a different material to line the interior surfaces whcih show when the top button is undone or the sleeves are rolled up. Call me a shirt snob.
    I am more of a fabric snob.

Good shirting should always be 2 ply and preferably a simple weave. Unfortunately wrinkles are a side effect of wearing very fine cotton.

Most made to measure or bespoke clothing stores will naturally use bait and switch even the most reputable will talk up materials with higher margins at your expense., although a very good shop should make you feel fantastic about your purchase!

As a basic rule going for a European branded cotton with better than 100 count (preferably 120 or above) will give you a high quality feel but still be 'OK' for day to day wear. If you start going above a count of 160 then the shirt would probably feel fantastic but wrinkle as it is removed from the ironing board. Some would argue after you hit a count of 200 you probably wont care that you have fabric wrinkles as it feels so good (although it may also hit your wallet for $2-3000).

Given you can spend 14 hours a day in a shirt surely it is worth paying a little more for nice fabric for a few shirts?

Look out for fabric by
    • Thomas Mason
    • Monti
    • Alumo
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:

Well it's probably not cheaper when you take the flight into consideration but shirts probably will be. I used George's tailors on sukhumvit soi 25, been in business over 30 years

O

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast