Convection microwave oven

Closed Thread

Convection microwave oven

Hi all,
    Does anyone own one? If so pros and cons please and what brand would you recommend?

Thanks

When you ask this question, are you asking from the point of view of using this oven in place of a conventional wall/under bench oven or as a secondary oven source ?

We have a 3 year old Panasonic convection microwave which we use only as a secondary unit to our gas oven, for reheating mainly, defrosting and the occasional home made pie or calzone which the convection side of things works a treat. If it's for a single person, and if you prep/cook very simple meals, then the Pana will do an o.k Job, as a primary oven for a family of 4 or 5, it's going to struggle....

We have been happy with our Panasonic as it is well made and is intuitive to operate, well worth the extra money.

I have a Panasonic also, it's great. I have this one:
    http://www.price.com.hk/product.php?p=116098 Panasonic NN-CS599S

Steam - works great for vegetables, reheating things
    Grill - works great when you're making onion soup and want a nice gratin on top
    Oven - I've made bread, baked potatoes, roasted beef, all great
    Microwave - great for reheating stuff too

Would I buy the same machine again? yes.

Thanks for the reply guys. It's fit two people as a primary source of cooking. Our kitchen seems to small for a "normal" oven and I don't like the very small work top ones.

I used to have a small Delonghi counter top. Used to love it to bits. Baked bread, cakes, muffins, pizzas, lasagna, et al. to perfection.

Would fit a 8 x 10 pan/dish at max and it was enough for us.

We now have a big built in gas oven. Though we have a Panasonic Mw/Convection/Oven NN C784MF recently bought, I prefer to use the traditional counter tops or built in oven. There is something different (for the better) in the texture, etc of the food as compared to the micro oven or maybe it is just me.

Maybe I have a bias towards such things, but I dont prefer to use the microwave oven unless I have very little quantity to deal with.

Thanks. In the we have turned around and will be getting a built in oven instead.

you might want to look at the Cristal G34L built in...we bought one for our new, fairly tight kitchen layout...no complaints so far though we have yet to really put it through the paces...of course if you have the room for a full-sized built in, go for it

http://www.cristal.com.hk/product_de...id=3&pi_id=397

Quote Originally Posted by Oxygen:
    Thanks. In the we have turned around and will be getting a built in oven instead.
    Never owned a microwave but always had a full size oven. Much better

Cons:
    Higher price then normal MW
    Deeper, need more space

Pros:
    Still cheaper then MW + oven

I have a Whirlpool JT369 (I think). It has a good size, but convection heat goes only up to 225ºC. 250ºC would be better for bread (initial phase, when you have to inject water).

If you plan to use it for bread then look for one that can do 250ºC.

BTW, you can do tomato-cakes, but not pizza. Pizza needs around 300ºC - no convection MW can reach that.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Cons:
    Higher price then normal MW
    Deeper, need more space

Pros:
    Still cheaper then MW + oven

I have a Whirlpool JT369 (I think). It has a good size, but convection heat goes only up to 225ºC. 250ºC would be better for bread (initial phase, when you have to inject water).

If you plan to use it for bread then look for one that can do 250ºC.

BTW, you can do tomato-cakes, but not pizza. Pizza needs around 300ºC - no convection MW can reach that.
    Thanks for the info. Very useful and much appreciated.