Like Tree9Likes

Engagement ring shopping

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

IMO, size does matter.... clarity not so important since you can only check the clarity through a magnifier. For colour, as long as it's not yellowish looking by naked eye, it should be alright!

Congrats!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

What size is acceptable then, is 0.8 Carat ok or would it need to be something bigger ... say above 1, might do a little shopping around some jewelers on the weekend get an idea of what the sizes actually look like.

Thanks for all the help.

You know your future wife better than us....

color is certainly important, when it comes to diamonds that is...

I'm female and I helped Choose my ring (which we had made).
    l would say the ring should mean something. Size is not important to everyone and if your fiancée is an active person, smaller is better. Mine is a black opal plus 2 small diamonds and is unusual. So decide what YOUR fiancée is like before shopping. A standard big stone is not for everyone.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 18-10-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

I have to agree, it's a matter of taste and preference.

My wife and I got married young....straight out of college. At that point my "2-month salary" (American rough standard for engagement ring cost) was not very high. We went shopping for the ring together and she said to me that she did not care about the diamond size as long as it "sparkled". She ended up with a 1/3 of carat Leo cut diamond which was rated FL (flawless in clarity) and D (completely colorless)....it still cost me what felt like an "arm and a leg" back then.....as I financed the purchase.

12 years later, she still get compliments on her ring from friends (who are always amazed how her ring shines and sparkles in every light and their 2-3 carat huge diamond is rather boring and dull). Every time she goes to a jewelry convention in HK (she's in the business of fashion jewelry design and export) she gets constant compliments from diamond dealers, and jewelry retailers.

On our 10 year anniversary, she got a diamond band which was Significantly more pricey than the ring was and custom made with great quality diamonds....yet she often still wears just her old ring which she refuses to upgrade....

Last edited by climber07; 18-10-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    elliee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Frankly speaking unless you target to resell it or your future wife is an expert, what matters most to most ladies is the size of the diamond and the shape of the ring.

Although they are important, Clarity and Color are I believe less important to ladies.
    As a lady, I would respectfully disagree. I prefer to have a perfect stone (not included and clear) that is a bit smaller. The difference between a colorless (D,E,F) and near colorless (G,H,I,J) stone is also more apparent the larger the stone gets. Also, inclusions that are visible to the eye are ick.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alan1ng2:
    IMO, size does matter.... clarity not so important since you can only check the clarity through a magnifier. For colour, as long as it's not yellowish looking by naked eye, it should be alright!

Congrats!

Err, no. A slightly included diamond significantly affects how it shines and depending on the size of the inclusion you may be able to see it without magnification. Similarly for color, if you put a colorless diamond up next to a near colorless diamond, particularly below the H level, there is a notable difference. A big diamond that doesn't shine or has a tinged color is just unattractive.

i JUST proposed last week. about 1.5 carat diamond with two on the side and a pave or something inlay in the band. its slightly included and has ONE feather that is noticeable (but only when you look up close, and only in certain angles).... all i can say is that I agree with ellie above... even though its only got a little inclusion it certainly bugs me... still sparkles like crazy (F color helps with that and good cut) and she loves it, but still, i would rather not have that little feather in there and would've gone a little smaller if i had to in order to be without it ;-)

elliee, Fiona in HKG and climber07 like this.

I recommend Power Jewellry on 19A Hankow Rd, TST. They were recommended to us by friends of my parents and they have an excellent reputation for price and being genuine. They recoated my wedding and engagement rings at a very good price, after I had bashed them around a bit with wear and tear. As a female, I would personally would go for cut and clarity over size when choosing an engagement ring. My husband and I visited my family jeweller who was also a long time family friend ( since deceased sadly) . When asked, he said that he knew exactly what would suit me, and he was spot on. Of course, my mother was like, " he doesn't love you if he won't buy you at least a carat!" Utter Crap. A carat in size looked too big as I have small hands but the cut and clarity were perfect and a well balanced .58 carat. A ring should be about showing quality of your commitment not how much you can afford. Different cuts and sizes suit different women.

Last edited by Natfixit; 18-10-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Grammar