Reccomendation needed for Digital Camera

Reccomendation needed for Digital Camera

Can any of you guys and girls reccomend me a digital camera?

I will be using it for primarily taking close up pictures of Jewellery etc and needs to be fairly idiot proof too, I'm usually the point and click type of user, And I don't want the hassle of adjusting settings etc.

I currently have a sony w12 5 megapixel but its not currently sufficient for my needs.

My Budget is in the 2-3k region.

Thanks in advance.

Jimbo,

Given your budget and the fact that you don't really want to upgrade to a DSLR, I would probably recommend: Canon PowerShot A720 IS. It is highly rated for Macro shots and got a good review from several photo raters.

BTW: Check out Dpreview below for many side-by-side features and camera comparisons.

http://http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona720is/

However, having said that. If you're looking to improve your photography for items like jewelry, your most important element will be lighting. I'd recommend investing in a pair of cheap table lamps and a soft-box similar to what is pictured below (alternatively you can make one from a cardboard box and some fabric).

Perfect, Thanks for the tips Climber, much appreciated.

Ref Climbers recommend of lighting.

You may not be aware of a thing called a light box.
    Specially designed for taking catalogued items. Come in different sizes.

There is a shop selling in Wanchai . You can look down from the walkway, MTR to Immigration Tower - Right hand side - walking towards MTR - Nr Jaffe Road intersection I think .

These will revolutionize your quality. There are also special scatter lights for jewelry, akin to those used in retail displays.