Like Tree43Likes

Groupon fights for its life as daily deals fade.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Groupon fights for its life as daily deals fade.

The stock has collapsed to an all time low of $2.76 against an issue price of $20 a year ago.

"....the business model is fundamentally flawed."

I gave up looking at their daily offerings a long time ago after just too many disappointing meals where I thought what was offered was not even remotely worth the discounted price.

A good way of looking at it is that they can soon start a witty and well written offer on their site, giving punters a chance to buy their stock at 80% off.

Fiona in HKG, jgl, sniffer and 5 others like this.

I bought their stock at 77% off :-(
    Still pondering if I should liquidate or hang on...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I was (foolishly) "encouraged" to buy one of its offers by some I considered a friend . Ran out of stock but wouldn't give a refund (still ongoing but considering small claims). I'd say there could be a problem there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    The stock has collapsed to an all time low of $2.76 against an issue price of $20 a year ago.

"....the business model is fundamentally flawed."

I gave up looking at their daily offerings a long time ago after just too many disappointing meals where I thought what was offered was not even remotely worth the discounted price.
    What is the "fundamental flaw"? Fundamentally the concept makes sense - i.e. providing a convenient way for consumers to pool together their buying power to obtain cheaper goods and services. The problem seems to be that the delivery of products/services and accountability of vendors participating in the scheme can be really shit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using GeoClicks Mobile
    Last edited by Loz_2; 13-11-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    Fatelvis and bryant.english like this.

In contrast, we've probably bought well over 100 deals over the past couple of years, all but a handful of which have been satisfactory, and some of which have been really good value. We are definitely buying less now that we did earlier, since there has been a clear decline in both the value and quality of offers, but as long as you pay attention to the terms of the deals it can still go well.

Just for the record, in the past few weeks I've bought a voucher for a halogen oven, a backpack, a set dinner at Aura Lounge on Wyndham (where we've happily used vouchers before), fish'n'chips at The Chippy, discounted Macau ferry tickets, XTC ice cream, and cash vouchers for Quarterdeck at Fenwick Pier...

thank goodness, hopefully a sign that either consumer confidence is on the up or that people have finally wised up to this fad

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

vmlinuz, you've been fortunate. I buy one thing and get screwed over... /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I bought their stock at 77% off :-(
    Still pondering if I should liquidate or hang on...
    I've read the founders and early investors have cashed out a long time ago.

thank goodness, hopefully a sign that either consumer confidence is on the up or that people have finally wised up to this fad
    Groupon made a bulk of its money on the bet that around 25-30% of the buyers would not redeem their coupons. With the way the economies are around the world, the %age of buyers not redeeming has dropped to 5-10%.
    dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast