Like Tree5Likes

Power Monkey

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

OOOH you are going to the wilds of canada? Cool! I know you sound like you don't want to go, but it sounds really great to me

EDIT ... but I don't think they get much sun there so solar chargers are going to need to be the size of a horse to be any use!

spareone is great for sheer emergency, 15 year ( unopened life span), not cheap, but if used in emergency, priceless, great for a car/garage/very long treks, cost HK$500 the last time i looked

actually, please don't get it the philips, as canada has different frequency for 2g phones ( same as us) as soon as picked up you're going to canada, though 3 g is widely compatible with rest of the world

Last edited by imparanoic; 18-12-2012 at 11:32 AM.

If you have a dumbphone, you can probably get spare batteries for it dirt cheap. e.g. http://dx.com/s/nokia+battery

MIN is right- good luck using solar power in Canada if you are going in winter.

Good point on the GSM differences though- it's really down to the particular phone and how many bands it supports. My dumbphone works fine in the US.

Claire ex-ax likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Moving, the trip involves hiking out to a friend's "log cabin" (fancy-sounding garden shed imo). The area sounds gorgeous though, near a lake. Although I manage to keep fit in the gym, I can have some trouble walking long distances (crushed pelvis, hit by car). I'm also concerned about my other half - he had a minor coronary a few years back and is rather lax about exercise. Still... at least it's not till Easter so we don't need snowshoes!

(To be honest, it's not just my OH who wants a phone, I'd like one just in case, having been in that situation before.)

jgl, thanks for the battery link. Might be good to get a spare - while they still make them! (Couldn't get one from Nokia at all!)

If you are going to order from DealExtreme, do it sooner rather than later. They can take a couple of months to deliver stuff sometimes.

Claire - check if the Spare One works in Canada or if they have a similar version - if yes this is perfect for your needs (basically for emergencies).

Otherwise - if you are HIKING IN ... seriously ... you need to consider EVERY SINGLE GRAM of what you will carry. Unless it's about 1km on a road and you can take a wheelie trolley (which it is not, by the sounds of it) then carrying a pack will be really, really tough for anyone who does not do it regularly.

When we hike in Europe, our packs are under 10kg - no sleeping bags or food or anything like that, just ONE change of clothes, some warm and wet weather gear, a few light toiletries and a first aid kit, a phone and a passport. And that is QUITE HEAVY ENOUGH for an ordinary person. Assuming you have to carry some food in with you, and perhaps are not into living in the same clothes for a week, you'll already be laiden down. Don't pack more. Take a phone, charge before you go, leave it OFF the whole time and just use in an emergency. That's sufficient. Take a separate camera with a decent battery so you don't run down the phone using it as a camera. Leave the laptop at home - it's too heavy to carry; as are books, ipads, spare batteries, make-up and many other things you may be tempted to bring. You will thank me on the hike in

(Go hiking before you leave, practise carrying the pack, break in your shoes, buy hiking poles and have a great time).

Moving, thanks for the advice - the SpareOne has two versions, one for the US/Canada and one for the rest of the world (except Japan and Antarctica). For weight, I tend to go with the 1kg per 10kg of body weight ratio so I won't be carrying anything like 10kg! From what I understand it's not too far from a road, just not possible to get a vehicle there. (I've stopped listening too much about it after I was told the only place to wash is in a cold lake and you pee in the woods!)

But it all depends on OH's doctor. It's possible he'll be advised not to take the trip. Mixed feelings on that.

Do you even know if you can get mobile coverage where you're going?

If you want to go the slightly paranoid and tech-specific route, you can look into a SPOT transponder.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    If you have a dumbphone, you can probably get spare batteries for it dirt cheap. e.g. http://dx.com/s/nokia+battery
    jgl, thanks for pointing me towards dx.com. Bought myself some spare batteries for my old phone and also a spare reconditioned barphone (which was less than the price of a newer Nokia battery!). Took 10 days from order to delivery. Cheers mate! *thumbsup*