Like Tree39Likes

The biggest grocery in all of Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Interesting numbers. The average American grocery store is 46,000 sq feet, but 'super centers' which carry groceries, clothes, toys and assorted car parts can average about 176,000 sq feet.

http://www.fmi.org/research-resource...ze-square-feet

fwiw I ended up at Jusco tonight. Sunday night, a week before Chinese New Year--what in the hell was I thinking. Total chaos. I've never seen it that insane.

dear giant, elliee and Lootoo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    Interesting question, so far my research (yeah, I know, I need to get out more) indicates that ParknShop at Metro City in Po Lam is the largest with 72,000 sq ft.

Taste at Citygate in Tung Chung has "only" 45,000 sq ft.
    Made me laugh!

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    Answering the question....the largest I have been in might be the Super Park n Shop beneath the KCR station in Fanling.
    park n shop in fanling and taste in tung chung are almost the same size, if you want carrefour and walmart size ( ie, at least 2 times are big as the two mentioned above) then you have go to shenzhen
    East_coast likes this.

Taste in Tung Chung would probably be the biggest indeed, although I think Taste in Festival Walk Kowloon Tong might not lag too far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    park n shop in fanling and taste in tung chung are almost the same size, if you want carrefour and walmart size ( ie, at least 2 times are big as the two mentioned above) then you have go to shenzhen
    Hopefully individual day drip licences for cars will be issued soon...

Then trips to Tesco, Walmart to break the duopoly become a reality
    dear giant and Lootoo like this.

I've been to walmart in shenzhen and it was big but pretty disappointing. Full of what I would describe as rubbish

There are some big parknshop/ taste stores up in the new territories (Yuen Long, Tin Shui Wai and Tuen Mun for example) but I can't say how many sq ft they are

Last edited by justjoe86; 04-02-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

Yes, breaking the duopoly by easing border crossing (reverse parallel trading anyone?) sounds good.

But like justjoe, I don't think it would really happen. It wouldn't get me in my car at least. I was in a WalMart in Shenzhen a couple of months back. And it was nowhere near the size of an American box store or even a French hypermarche. It was sizeable, but not bigger than some of the larger Hong Kong supermarkets.

It was also a very localised experience with chicken feet, live frogs and so on, which of course makes total sense given the target audience. WalMart Shenzen is closer to a Wellcome Yuen Long experience than it is to WalMart US for the time being.

The duopoly is definitely unfortunate. In the UK the supermarkets are so competitive it makes things much better IMO. Even own brand products are of reasonable quality due to competition. I wish M&S would make full sized food stores in HK with everything they have in UK, but now I'm just dreaming!

elliee likes this.

Would be nice. I think Jusco is our only hope for now in terms of breaking the duopoly. Although... Nice stores but definitely not cheaper than PnS or Wellcome.

Quote Originally Posted by vantastic:
    Would be nice. I think Jusco is our only hope for now in terms of breaking the duopoly. Although... Nice stores but definitely not cheaper than PnS or Wellcome.
    The main problem is locals don't like the same food as us so the prices will always be more for imported goods. Here's a challenge for everyone: Convert at least 1 local to as much western food as you can.

I've succeeded with my mother in law and sister in law, who both curse me for the weight they've gained and money they've spent since I got them into things like cheese, steak etc.
    carang likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast