Like Tree39Likes

The biggest grocery in all of Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vantastic:
    Yes, breaking the duopoly by easing border crossing (reverse parallel trading anyone?) sounds good.

But like justjoe, I don't think it would really happen. It wouldn't get me in my car at least. I was in a WalMart in Shenzhen a couple of months back. And it was nowhere near the size of an American box store or even a French hypermarche. It was sizeable, but not bigger than some of the larger Hong Kong supermarkets.

It was also a very localised experience with chicken feet, live frogs and so on, which of course makes total sense given the target audience. WalMart Shenzen is closer to a Wellcome Yuen Long experience than it is to WalMart US for the time being.

Do you not think a hyper market will be built just over the border when the barrier does come down?

Just like the sheds just outside Calais

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Do you not think a hyper market will be built just over the border when the barrier does come down?

Just like the sheds just outside Calais
    No, won't change a thing. Why should it? The restrictions and cost rule it out pretty much
    Last edited by jaykay; 04-02-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Taste in Tung Chung would probably be the biggest indeed, although I think Taste in Festival Walk Kowloon Tong might not lag too far behind.
    Trick question: Which number is bigger, 72,000 or 45,000?

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    I've been to walmart in shenzhen and it was big but pretty disappointing. Full of what I would describe as rubbish
    TBH, that's how I would describe EVERY Walmart I've been in recently. Now gimme a Costco and we're talkin...
    Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    The main problem is locals don't like the same food as us so the prices will always be more for imported goods. Here's a challenge for everyone: Convert at least 1 local to as much western food as you can.

I've succeeded with my mother in law and sister in law, who both curse me for the weight they've gained and money they've spent since I got them into things like cheese, steak etc.

like you said, I don't think the locals have a preference for noodles and rice as much as that is what they can afford. put all the locals on expat packages and watch the western food come flowing in
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    like you said, I don't think the locals have a preference for noodles and rice as much as that is what they can afford. put all the locals on expat packages and watch the western food come flowing in
    Put all expats on old school expat packages. Bring back the good old days. Talking about club membership, housing allowances, flights home every year, medical insurance, holiday home, maids, cars, drivers, boats, planes (am I getting carried away?)
    Last edited by pin; 05-02-2013 at 07:21 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

The Jusco in Hung Hom is as big as any place I've been to here, including Tung Chung. Maybe it just feels more like home because it's the usual UK style rectangle with rows of aisles and is actually reasonably easy to navigate.

Taste in Tung Chung would probably be the biggest indeed, although I think Taste in Festival Walk Kowloon Tong might not lag too far behind.
    according to wiki (i know... i know...) the PnS in Po Lam is more than twice the size of Festival Walk Taste..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ParknShop

just realized that Po Lam data may be before they took a big chunk out of the floor space for a new hallway with more smaller shops (Sunning, etc) and a food court...

Taste in Hang Hau has to be among the top few as well...
    Last edited by anothercanuck; 05-02-2013 at 08:30 AM.

Does anyone use parknshop? I always think about it but never order.

Big doesnt always = better when it comes to super market floor space...

I don't think the size of supermarket bears much if any benefit to Europeans, as it rarely if ever correlates to offering a wider variety of products that are more appealing to us.

City Super super markets aren't all that big, they are generally about a standard size, but they sell a much higher concentration of things that I actually like to buy/eat. Very few supermarkets can compare when it comes to the range of Japanese/Western products plus the proper deli counter that City Supers command. We regularly shop at CS in Shatin, TST and Taste in Festival Walk, the latter is the best Taste on Kowloon side in my opinion, as they have a much more comprehensive / western focussed bakery section & a lot larger deli counter ( considerably broader selection), not quite as good as CS, but the Festival Walk one is passable. It's a damn sight better than the NT Tastes though, which I grew very bored of. The bigger = better philosophy doesn't really apply to super markets, the Park n Shop Mega store in Yuen Long is probably one of the biggest, but just carries a larger range of items that I don't want to buy lol......

Over and above that, I honestly prefer strip shopping, nothing beats having a group of independent, ground level bespoke meat/deli/organic food shops/bakeries, that cater for my needs, and for that, Sai Kung does a fine job over and above anywhere else we have lived in HK. I can walk around a couple of blocks within 5 minutes walking distance of our car and do a weekly shop, even stopping off at The Color Brown café for a proper, single origin,espresso, between boot loads.

Last edited by Skyhook; 09-02-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast