Like Tree39Likes

The biggest grocery in all of Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

PnS delivers fresh and frozen food. At least it does to my address. Their website has a bigger selection than my nearest store but admittedly my local PnS is on the small side.

Of course the website has the same stock management issues as the physical stores. I agree with DG on this one. Retail stock management does seem to be a challenge for some HK stores.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks Mobile

dear giant likes this.

It has always seemed a bit strange to me that there isn't more online shopping in Hong Kong. Many places deliver....yet few places offer good online shopping websites.

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    It has always seemed a bit strange to me that there isn't more online shopping in Hong Kong. Many places deliver....yet few places offer good online shopping websites.
    Local culture. Firstly, why care about delivery when the DH can collect it for you. Secondly, they like to squeeze their own veggies to check for freshness rather than let some incompetent virtual shopper do it for them. Finally - sitting around waiting for delivery can be inconvenient. We used PNS online for a couple of years but gave up in the end because they 1) often got the delivery wrong and 2) got really upset about climbing the 4 steps up to our boat - which rather invalidated the only reason we did it which was to avoid having to carry stuff along the jetty ourselves!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Local culture. Firstly, why care about delivery when the DH can collect it for you. Secondly, they like to squeeze their own veggies to check for freshness rather than let some incompetent virtual shopper do it for them. Finally - sitting around waiting for delivery can be inconvenient. We used PNS online for a couple of years but gave up in the end because they 1) often got the delivery wrong and 2) got really upset about climbing the 4 steps up to our boat - which rather invalidated the only reason we did it which was to avoid having to carry stuff along the jetty ourselves!

I get the local culture. Shopping is like a hobby, sport and lifestyle here. People live in shoeboxes and its nice to get out of the house. Plus, I think locals like to feel and see what they are buying...don't trust the online shopping as much.

That all being said, it seems like some businesses could benefit by doing online sales or improving on their online websites. I can see some future growth in this area. I was looking for mattresses the other day....and I remember wishing there were more/better online shopping sites.

HK'ers like to do online shopping and then go and pick up. WTF????

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:
    If both of you had paid attention you would have noticed that they don't deliver everything nor is the online selection as good.
    In fact, if you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that Carrefour doesn't deliver anything at all, since they don't have any stores here.

Oh, yes, that was what I was discussing with Moving, not some general rah-rah about how wonderful it was to have food delivered from PnS/Wellcome... I've never used grocery delivery in Hong Kong, but I have used it in London and it definitely served a purpose. I don't recall what the restrictions were there, but there is nothing preventing a theoretical Carrefour based on some non-existent large-ish plot of land in Hong Kong from offering a better service than what is currently offered by the Supermarket Duopoly. And that, I venture, would have breached Moving's WAG 5% limit quite comfortably.

Still, it ain't gonna happen, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    In fact, if you had been paying attention, you would have noticed that Carrefour doesn't deliver anything at all, since they don't have any stores here.

Oh, yes, that was what I was discussing with Moving, not some general rah-rah about how wonderful it was to have food delivered from PnS/Wellcome... I've never used grocery delivery in Hong Kong, but I have used it in London and it definitely served a purpose. I don't recall what the restrictions were there, but there is nothing preventing a theoretical Carrefour based on some non-existent large-ish plot of land in Hong Kong from offering a better service than what is currently offered by the Supermarket Duopoly. And that, I venture, would have breached Moving's WAG 5% limit quite comfortably.

Still, it ain't gonna happen, of course.
    It's a pity. I was in Carrefour in Doha last week and it was fabulous. I purchased chocolate hobnobs for MrMin and wandered the aisles, glorying in the huge amounts of space and wonder if I'd every find my way out again (actually I was quite sick at the time and it was rather daunting walking around somewhere to big!). Unfortunately since I was flying only with hand-luggage I couldn't indulge in anything larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:

Oh, yes, that was what I was discussing with Moving, not some general rah-rah about how wonderful it was to have food delivered from PnS/Wellcome...
    Blabla. I replied to your following statement (as it should be apparent from the quote in my post):
    Most supermarkets here deliver, so the customer just has to get there...
    Since Carrefour isn't here (as you said yourself) I would say you did talk about PnS/Wellcome etc.

Ah, now I see your mistake... No worries!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7