Like Tree5Likes

Wellcome supermarket stamps

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Yes, we should given them to the poor. i can just see the uses a cage dweller will get out of their new hand blender.

Deleted. Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Yes, we should given them to the poor. i can just see the uses a cage dweller will get out of their new hand blender.
    You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?

They don't use it, they sell it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    You're not the sharpest knife in the drawer are you?

They don't use it, they sell it!
    Ummmm, my humour has obviously gone over your head...

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Travelling to collect wellcome stamps is crazy talk. The transport cost will easily surpass the value of the stamps.

Technically the 'cost' is not a big factor...but the time is. Many people exchange items at the MTR stations by handing them over the rails or turnstyles. This way, one never has to leave the MTR station and your octopus card never gets charged.

ex. One could go from Fanling down to Mong Kok...complete the transaction over the rails and than return to Fanling and only get charged nothing or the minimum MTR charge. I think everytime you enter or exit an MTR you get charged something, even if you don't leave the station? But you wouldn't get charged for the trip all the way and back.

But that doesn't change the fact that it is a waste of time and not worth the effort to get stamps this way

Quote Originally Posted by closedcasket:
    ex. One could go from Fanling down to Mong Kok...complete the transaction over the rails and than return to Fanling and only get charged nothing or the minimum MTR charge. I think everytime you enter or exit an MTR you get charged something, even if you don't leave the station? But you wouldn't get charged for the trip all the way and back.
    I dont think this is accurate. I once travelled from Mong Kok to Tung Chung to do a handover. I did not leave the paid area of the MTR, but when I returned to Mong Kok and exited, my octopus was charged the full fare to Tung Chung. I think the Octopus has an RFID which gets picked up by the MTR as noting you have reached a new area.

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    I dont think this is accurate. I once travelled from Mong Kok to Tung Chung to do a handover. I did not leave the paid area of the MTR, but when I returned to Mong Kok and exited, my octopus was charged the full fare to Tung Chung. I think the Octopus has an RFID which gets picked up by the MTR as noting you have reached a new area.
    hmmmm? that is interesting.

Maybe it has changed...or maybe I have been mislead...but I have been told by several people who do pick up and deliveries this is there method....

I found this article by CNN, which if you read down towards the bottom seems to indicate that people do "meet at MTR stations and exchange goods over the railings that separate the fare-paid zone"????

http://travel.cnn.com/hong-kong/shop...hopping-441145

I couldn't find any other material to verify this.. maybe someone else can chime in?
    Last edited by closedcasket; 02-03-2013 at 12:14 PM.

If you enter and exit the same MTR station within 20 minutes, you are charged the minimum fare (around $3). If its within 20-150 minutes, you are charged $10. If its over 150 minutes, you are charged the maximum adult one way fare (around $35).

closedcasket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If you enter and exit the same MTR station within 20 minutes, you are charged the minimum fare (around $3). If its within 20-150 minutes, you are charged $10. If its over 150 minutes, you are charged the maximum adult one way fare (around $35).

So you could do long distance transactions using the MTR for only $10...if you stay inside the fare-paid zone and made it back inside of 150 minutes.

To be honest if i were giving someone my wellcome stamps I wouldn't even go to meet them at the mtr. They can scale up the outside wall of my building and tap on the window

OP this offer stands