Like Tree16Likes

Topshop, superbrand, wtf??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Topshop, superbrand, wtf??

So topshop is opening in HK.

They are selling it as some sort of "superbrand" where you will be offered a free VIP personal shopping experience (whatever that means).

Seriously, don't these clueless people know what Topshop really is? i.e. another cheap high street store in the lines of Bossini, etc.

Bet you stuff will be selling in HK Topshop for several times more expensive than what it sells in the UK for.

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/48hrs/...open-hong-kong

Fiona in HKG and Gigilau like this.

Topshop has been positioned in the UK for a long time as being at the cutting edge of affordable fashion, with very frequent addition of new lines and, in my opinion, a stable of designers who are very good at spotting trends and getting them out there quickly in a huge choice of coulours and sizes. The Oxford Circus store is enormous and offers Personal Shopping, a blow dry bar, nail bar, cafe and all sorts of add-ons. It's also well known by London teenagers as the place to go if you want to be spotted by a model scout and it's not uncommon to see fairly high-end British fashion magazines waxing lyrical about their clothes. Topshop is also able to secure collaborations with celebrities like Kate Moss and others, which are of course only collaborations in the loosest sense of the word, but that also contributes to their brand image (cf H&M who also have much success doing this). However Topshop quality is several notches above H&M.

It will be very interesting to see how they pitch their pricing. If they markup too much (yes, Clarks shoes, I'm talking about you here) I'll just go into the store to try things on then order online from the UK via Asos. It will also be interesting to see if they bother stocking much above a UK size 12 - in the UK shops they go up to size 18 in pretty much everything but I'm not sure if there are enough expats or larger locals to justify them stocking much in the way of larger sizes here. Which is a shame since as a UK 12-14 my biggest gripe in HK is that I find it hard to find clothes that fit me.

I'd say that they are a world apart from Bossini and I am really looking forward to the opening.

Last edited by MarthaK; 30-05-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    bibbju likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

When I was a teenager, Topshop was at the bottom of the barrel, the place for teens on Saturday pay. But that was like forever like ago!

I might take a browse. Perhaps this old broad will find something fun to wear.

audiot, MovingIn07 and kimwy66 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    When I was a teenager, Topshop was at the bottom of the barrel, the place for teens on Saturday pay. But that was like forever like ago!

I might take a browse. Perhaps this old broad will find something fun to wear.
    Yep, that is my view and I remember the 10% NUS discount as well.

I'm not from the USA, so I don't know this for sure, but isn't GAP also pretty cheap in the USA, where here in HK it seems quite 'expensive'!?

It seems like people here are willing to pay more simply for the fact it's 'western'. Marks & Spencers another example of being extremely overpriced.

I'm with the other oldies on this - to me Topshop is a bottom-end brand. The Woolworth's of clothing if you like.

With all due respect I'm 27 and I am not going to tell 21 year olds what is 'cool' so I'm surprised some of you guys who are AT LEAST 28 () are getting involved. Embarrassing oldies alert

INXS likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

From the Topshop I remember, I'm surprised it's survived this long. It obviously has the pulse of today's teens in the UK. It's come a long way from where it started.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I'm with the other oldies on this - to me Topshop is a bottom-end brand. The Woolworth's of clothing if you like.
    cringe
    justjoe86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    With all due respect I'm 27 and I am not going to tell 21 year olds what is 'cool' so I'm surprised some of you guys who are AT LEAST 28 () are getting involved. Embarrassing oldies alert
    Thank you rescuing me from posting JJ!
    justjoe86 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast