Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Natfixit

Where to get a French lace/ fabrics & good tailor?

Closed Thread

Where to get a French lace/ fabrics & good tailor?

Hi all,
    I am looking for some French lace (lace with cord details)- not the typical flat lace for making a dress.
    Does anyone know where I can get good fabric & French lace? I went to Western markets and it seemed that that place selling the usual lace - flat type and in my opinion this it looks rather old fashion.
    Also, does anyone know a good ladies dress maker/ tailor (reasonable price)? I went to Margareth court and she quoted me 5000 HKD for a dress + the fabric (satin). Is that the standard rate?
    Thank you in advance.

Fr the corded lace you are looking for, I know it's a trek, and I advise spending a couple of days, one night in Guangzhou, but the textile markets in Guangzhou are the biggest and the best you'll find in the south China region. Avoid western market. You can try Sham Shui Po in Ki Lung street or the Hawkers Bazaar in Yen Chow st opp the police station, but need to really look and only carry cash.

The International textile markets are in Guangzhou, opp Sun Yat Sen Uninersity. Take the MTR to the Sun Yat Sen Uni stop and take the textile markets exit, and head out left then immediate right. You won't miss the mass of accessories and lace is abundant on the ground floor shops. Prices are very cheap, take a calculator to bargain or speak putonghua.

You can buy cheap satin at the hawkers bazaar. Or for a more smooth fitting, silk. Unfortunately, Chinese silk ( or what they try to convince us westerners is 'quality silk', is what I would normally use for lining. ) looks cheap and thin.

Last edited by Natfixit; 30-06-2013 at 07:02 PM.

I second the GZ option... I spent the day wandering in awe. There's tons of material. Just note that you may have to wait for the material for a couple of hours as it might not be kept on the premises. So you can opt to pick it up the following day or have it shipped to HK.

Sorry, forgot to add, just remembered, there is a fabric shop on Li yuen St west ( I think or the Li yuen st east, but sure it is west) in central that sells pura seta ( pure Italian silk) for about 60 hk$ per yard. You can bargain with the guy as he is reasonable. I have bought silk from there, and honestly, it fits much better and gives a smoother line than the satin, and holds its shape better and will flow with the silk. The only satin I would recommend is stiff satin, often used in bodices. This shop also sells it.

elle likes this.

It's on Li Yuen Street West, great fabric shop, one of my favourites - have been going there for 15+ years.
    Sometimes they only have a sample swatch at the premise, particularily when it comes to the more expensive fabrics, one can usually pick up the yardage the next day.

I would suggest you wander around the streets below

you should find something (perhaps some Mandarin might help) if you take a photo of want you want.

Red enclosed are is the fabric district
    Purple areas are the fabric markets

hi everyone...
    thank you for the reply.

is there any specific shop in Li Yuen street?

hi east_coast,
    would your please send me a link of the map? I can't see the map clearly. Thank you.

Ther are only two fabric shope in Li Yuen West steet. The one I recommend is closer to Des Voeux Road, on your left side when coming form Des Voeux Road. The other one sells mainly quilting cottons and is closer to Queens Road Central.

Quote Originally Posted by koalaonthemove:
    hi east_coast,
    would your please send me a link of the map? I can't see the map clearly. Thank you.
    Use right-click and save it

or

http://bit.ly/12HZFnl