Like Tree12Likes

Need a Tablet Device - Recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Big difference between the clover trail atom windows tablets like the acer, and the core i5 Surface pro.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    Big difference between the clover trail atom windows tablets like the acer, and the core i5 Surface pro.
    Yep! The price....please see the OP for the price range!

>>>Win8 tab<<<

Err, a bit more than that. When you buy a Surface Pro, you get a full power workstation with 4GB RAM and a decent power Core i5 CPU. I'm running a RHEL VM with Oracle amongst a few other server apps on my Surface as I type this, as well as the usual selection of stuff on the host.

The Acer Atom/2GB and other cheaper tablets are not in the same league performance wise. That is why they are cheaper.

Not to mention the build quality on the surface is far better, it has a 1920x1080 IPS panel with digitiser and pen, as opposed to 1366x768 and no digitiser...etc etc..

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    Err, a bit more than that. When you buy a Surface Pro, you get a full power workstation with 4GB RAM and a decent power Core i5 CPU. I'm running a RHEL VM with Oracle amongst a few other server apps on my Surface as I type this, as well as the usual selection of stuff on the host.

The Acer Atom/2GB and other cheaper tablets are not in the same league performance wise. That is why they are cheaper.

Not to mention the build quality on the surface is far better, it has a 1920x1080 IPS panel with digitiser and pen, as opposed to 1366x768 and no digitiser...etc etc..
    BMWs 320i is more expensive than Ford Mondeo 2.0......you have a point?

The guy has a price range of 4-5k.

You can get a Win8 tab that is, IMO, better than any Android or Apple tab because it is a real computer and you're in with this odd snobbery? Weird dude, get over it...
    Last edited by INXS; 01-07-2013 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:

>>>Win8 tab<<<
    clovertrail are weak, the Celeron of today, especially for running windows 8, it's like running window vista on a 2 core duo , or window xp on 2009 atom with 1 gig ram, so performance is a bit sluggish for win 8 for a low end win8, that's why the better spec win 8 use 3rd or even better i3, i5 or i7 , on the other hand, clovertrail has similar performance to snapdragon s4 krait/600, but running android is a lot easier, look at the antutu index as both not far from each other (mid-late 20k)

also resolution is a big difference ie, clovertrail android Samsung tab3 10.1 at 1280 x 800 also the asus vivo tab (win 8) at 1366 x 766 which is relative standard res, whole sony is at 1900 x 1200

if the haswell based i5 active 8 which runs both android and win8 has antutu rating of 54k

it's like comparing 1.3 Honda jazz ( clovertrail atom) with 0-60mph at 13.5 with a pangani zonda f ( haswell 17) 0-60mph at 4.1 seconds

>>>Win8 tab<<<
    the difference is in performance, window 8 on an atom is at best, just below adequate, at worse, slow, while on a proper pc cpu is much much better, as intel has a monopoly on desktop and laptop pc cpu market, price will never drop much either, unlike android cpu market

that's like comparing a mediatek quad core which is not very powerful and pretty cheap ( ie, HK$2500 region) to snapdragon s4 pro krait/600 (in region of HK$4000 plus) quad core or tegra 4 quad core, a very big difference in performance as well as price.

People sometimes ask me why I got out of IT nearly 20 years ago.....this is why!!

Have a look at the OPs requirements......he doesn't need a top spec. office machine....ffs.
    virago likes this.

One last time and then I'll give up! Why in God's name would you buy an Android tab for 4-5k when you cab get a Win 8 tab for the same price?
    Because android is better?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks mobile app
    vmlinuz likes this.

Doesn't the surface now have upgraded os, free office programs and free keyboard?

Sent from somewhere....

Min07....how on Earth could Android be better. Win8 can do everything Android can....and run windows apps. Ta Da...!

Sent from my GT-S6102 using GeoClicks mobile app