Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By INXS

Notebook shopping, new government regulations??

Closed Thread

Notebook shopping, new government regulations??

I went to Broadway today looking for a notebook that I eyed a week ago.
    Usually they had a screen on all the notebooks with a chart of available models (different CPUs, memory, HDDs etc) and a price.

This time, to my annoyance, all notebooks were playing some video. I asked for the overview again since the model on display didn't interest me (i3) and I was looking for a beefier model.

The sales guy told me something happened last week and the government now doesn't allow them to display these charts on the screens any longer. I should come back next week, maybe they charts would be back.

Anyone heard of this?

It's the new trade descriptions act.....they're on a mission right now....like the sales guy says, they'll get bored of it in a week or so and it will be business as usual...

100LL likes this.

Basically the new law says that they must accurately describe what they sell and its price. Obviously many shops find this difficult to handle, although I'm surprised that Broadway does.

I went back to Broadway today with the exact model numbers of my favorites to find they have zero stock at any of the branches of any of the models I was looking for. So I went up two floors in the same mall to Fortress, just to find they still have the comparison charts on the screens (with more models actually) and they do actually have stock. 1:0 for Fortress when it comes to notebook sales.