buy custom or off the rack suit? where?

Closed Thread

buy custom or off the rack suit? where?

my husband needs to get a couple suits but we have no idea where to start. we're looking to spend about 3200HK per suit. can anyone advise on:

1) where to find an off-the-rack suit for this budget? didn't see anything approaching this budget at sogo, lane crawford, etc. where are the mid-range dept stores?

2) whether you can find a decent custom suit at this price? if so, where?

thanks!!

Try Zara. The midrange department stores in HK are Wing On and Justco, but I wouldn't suggest looking for suits there.

Tailors are a much better bet. There are a gadzillion recommendations on the forums- just bang "tailor" into the search box on the left hand side of the page.

Agreed with Zara if you want to go for the off the peg suits, The prices are well within your budget.

around $2000 for the jacket and $800 for the trousers.

The mid range dept stores as per JGL's advice I would not do, Unless you wish to look like a mainlander

thanks all. huh, had no idea zara had men's suits--will check it out. only know of zara's women's clothes, and those, at least in the US, can be slightly tawdry!

maybe six months ago we got a calvin klein men's suit from macy's in the states for 400USD. surely there are stores in HK that might have similar deals?

What about Marks n Spencers? Also the summer sales will be starting soon.

Quote Originally Posted by knitty:
    thanks all. huh, had no idea zara had men's suits--will check it out. only know of zara's women's clothes, and those, at least in the US, can be slightly tawdry!

maybe six months ago we got a calvin klein men's suit from macy's in the states for 400USD. surely there are stores in HK that might have similar deals?
    The problem you have to deal with here is that the HK market for suits is quite different from that in the US. In the US, you get a gradual progression of cheap, medium and expensive suits.

In HK, mens' suits tend to fall either into slightly higher-end, throughly westernised stuff, or a lower-end cheap-and-nasty stratum that encompasses the mainland look that Jimbo refers to. This isn't a judgement on Chinese vs Western dress sense either- I've seen lots of Chinese guys wear nice suits, and a fair number of Westerners wear quite crap ones.

It's not so easy finding a good middle ground. Marks and Sparks is a good suggestion. You coudl try H&M if you're cost-concious. Citiplaza in Taikoo would be a good place to look for a slightly higher budget. But Macy's here really is Wing On, with Sincere and Justco a step below, and if you shop at these places you're going to end up with some pretty naff stuff (think old fogey golfing attire or sports blazers with gold buttons).

Your best bet is to visit a midrange tailor and just get them to make something up. There are lots of suggestions for tailors on this site, and they'll do decent suits for 2.5K, less than your USD400. Come to think of it, the resulting suit should be much better too.
    Last edited by jgl; 26-05-2008 at 06:52 PM.

i do recommend G2000 Black Label,

DO look for the series of BLACK LABEL!!!

all suits are priced @ 1500, & 800 for trousers~

Zara wld be another choice of coz~

In fact, Zara's design for suits is quite fabulous i must say!!!!

Whereas G2000 has much betta quality

CK suits?! dun even thk bout it lol, it starts from $6000 hkd

The decision

So we went with two tailored suits, each from a different tailor. I'll post an update when we get the suits!

Any update?

Knitty--I trust you've received the suits by now. Any feedback on the two different tailors' final product vs. value?