Furniture - Installment plan or interest free

Closed Thread

Furniture - Installment plan or interest free

Hi everyone. We have moved to Lamma Island ( take possession of an empty apartment tomorrow) and need to furnish it. In an ideal world I would like to go to one shop and buy everything on an installment plan or interest free credit arrangement but I only get my HK ID card on Saturday, and as I do not have a HK credit card yet, I don’t think I can get this at IKEA. So, any suggestions? Basically we do not have the funds to furnish to a good standard right away, and would rather get high quality Furniture now, and pay for it later if that makes sense. In the UK, I would go to a big department store and sign up for a store card or something but I just can’t seem to find anywhere similar here. Any advice gratefully received (on where to get furniture, not on the woes of moving stuff to Lamma )

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

My suggestion would be get what you can afford today rather than get it on tick.

Check the noticeboards around Lamma. There are bound to be ads from people selling, or giving, stuff away. Then save up for the good stuff.

The reason so many people in the UK are in debt is because they want everything now and want to live a champagne life on a beer budget. General advice from financial advisers is to only borrow money for things that appreciate in value, i.e. a house. You'll be paying for fancy furniture which will be next to worthless by the time it is paid for. IMO.

Yes good advice from Claire and something which I totally agree with.

Buy what you can financially afford to pay now and leave it at that until you are in a position to afford to upgrade using cash.

I'm now of the mindset of where if I can't afford to pay for it now in cold hard cash then I wait until I can. The days of having a 3500 pounds sterling overdraft limit from my days in the U.K are long gone.

If on a budget to furnish, places such as DSC, Sea-horse and a really good place in CWB behind Ikea (cannot remember name) amongst others sell modern looking furniture cheap - good double beds - 1000HK$, sofas $800 up, bookcases, tables, chairs, wardrobes etc.

Although not the best quality, looks good and will easily last 12 months until you can replace with better - if you want to.

Agree with previous comments about buying on credit - certainly responsible for a lot of financial problems in US and UK at the moment and will get worse!!!