Live Yeast

Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #21

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MaWan
    Posts
    133

    so where do i buy a food scale?


  2. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Posts
    14,636

    Wing On has a selection of inexpensive spring/balance and digital scales - some with bowls and some without. The digital ones are more accurate.

    I bought the Tanita KD-400 from there, before I saw Cooking Light magazine named it as one of its favourite kitchen gadgets. It doesn't have a bowl (I already have mixing bowls) and takes up almost no space (we have a tiny kitchen) - the display folds up to the base.


  3. #23

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MaWan
    Posts
    133

    ughhh....that was such an unpleasant experience.
    the result was something similar to an english muffin...and way too sour/salty.

    few questions:

    1. do i need to follow recipes for my breadmaker specifically?
    2. if not,,,can anyone recommend a good recipe?
    3. what gives the main flavor of the bread? the flour? if yes...whats a good tasting flour to get?
    4. any other pointers to improve the bread making? mine was very airy (lots of bubbles) and the top of the bread was sunken in a bit.
    5. also...there is a spinning blade in center for kneading the dough....but after it kneads the dough it stays in there and then when the bread bakes, i have to cut it out of the bottom of the bread. is that how its supoosed to be?


  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderLives:
    ughhh....that was such an unpleasant experience.
    the result was something similar to an english muffin...and way too sour/salty.

    few questions:

    1. do i need to follow recipes for my breadmaker specifically?
    2. if not,,,can anyone recommend a good recipe?
    3. what gives the main flavor of the bread? the flour? if yes...whats a good tasting flour to get?
    4. any other pointers to improve the bread making? mine was very airy (lots of bubbles) and the top of the bread was sunken in a bit.
    5. also...there is a spinning blade in center for kneading the dough....but after it kneads the dough it stays in there and then when the bread bakes, i have to cut it out of the bottom of the bread. is that how its supoosed to be?
    OMG. You have sooo cheered up my morning. I'm still laughing. Can't really help you much on the bread machine thingy as I make my bread without one... cutting out the hook sounds a bit strange though. Did you use sugar? I always use 1 large tsp of sugar per 1 cup of plain flour. Also, only use 1/2 tsp salt per 1 cup of flour. The butter should be about 1/4 cup per 3 cups of plain flour. I find that using Hovis yeast works better for me.

    Try again. Don't let it 'beat' you.
    Last edited by saphireruby; 16-07-2008 at 10:14 AM.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,012

    I've never had really consistant results with my breadmaker but most are edible

    As mentioned before you need a strong flour, I'm not sure of the name of the one I use but it has a "Better for bread" slogan on the package.

    I would suggest following the recipe to the letter, even if you think the quantities don't seem correct, e.g. at first I thought 4 tsp of sugar was far too much for a loaf of normal bread, the resulting house brick convinced me otherwise.

    Also, do not assume the flour/water quantity will be 100% correct, you may have to tweak the amounts during the mixing/kneading stage to achieve the correct dough consistency.

    Another small tip: add a tsp of lemon juice to the water, this will keep the bread fresh for a little longer.


  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mid Levels
    Posts
    373

    The first time i made bread i added a tablespoon of salt instead of teaspoon and it was really nasty

    I think there are two ways of using the bread maching , some you add the water first and some the yeast. mine i add the yeast.
    Basic bread
    1 tsp yeast
    500 g flour strong white / brown
    1 tbsp sugar
    25g butter
    1 1/2 tbsp milk powder
    11/2 tsp salt
    350ml water

    I put the ingredients in in this order and set the timer so I have warm bread for 7am. This is not an exciting recipe just basic but it works every time and is edible. and the smell in the house is wonderful
    360 have a good range of flours granay, rye etc and most of the packets have a recipe on the side. have started using my machine to make dough for Foccacia and adding garlic and baking it in the oven. it's delicious.


  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mid Levels
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderLives:
    ughhh....that was such an unpleasant experience.
    the result was something similar to an english muffin...and way too sour/salty.

    few questions:

    1. do i need to follow recipes for my breadmaker specifically?
    2. if not,,,can anyone recommend a good recipe?
    3. what gives the main flavor of the bread? the flour? if yes...whats a good tasting flour to get?
    4. any other pointers to improve the bread making? mine was very airy (lots of bubbles) and the top of the bread was sunken in a bit.
    5. also...there is a spinning blade in center for kneading the dough....but after it kneads the dough it stays in there and then when the bread bakes, i have to cut it out of the bottom of the bread. is that how its supoosed to be?
    My blade sometimes gets stuck too... not too sure what the soloution is...... did your machine come with a recipe book ???

  8. #28

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    MaWan
    Posts
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Janetw:
    My blade sometimes gets stuck too... not too sure what the soloution is...... did your machine come with a recipe book ???
    if you count a recipe for making a paper wieight.....then yes...it came with recipes :P

    thanks for the tips.
    my flour is bread flour...but it doesnt say strong..just says for bread.
    i made the measurements correctly...but maybe a gram or 2 off on the flower.

    ill try again tonight...and my fingers are crossed that second time is a charm. i do love the smell though.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Mid Levels
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by BenderLives:
    if you count a recipe for making a paper wieight.....then yes...it came with recipes :P

    thanks for the tips.
    my flour is bread flour...but it doesnt say strong..just says for bread.
    i made the measurements correctly...but maybe a gram or 2 off on the flower.

    ill try again tonight...and my fingers are crossed that second time is a charm. i do love the smell though.
    If the flour says it is for bread then it should be OK. does you recipe differ a lot from my basic one ?? sounds like you did not have enough water ?? also my book stresses it is important for my machine to put the yeast in first covered by the flour and water last. this this is most important if you use the timer....

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    147

    You always have to follow the breadmaker information for users. Not all are the same size. In the manual guide are recipes for the breadmaker otherwise you can look on the internet
    Did you fix the blender properly? It soon come off easily.
    When the bread is ready you have to place it on a rack so it can cool down.


    Try again!


Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast