Live Yeast

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Live Yeast

Does anyone know where to buy some live yeast for bread making?

I use Hovis yeast. I bake my own bread and pizza dough. I've tried a few different brands since I've been in HK and Hovis (individual pkts) have given me the best results. I leave it to rise for at least 2 or 3 hours and I always add 3 tsps of sugar to the flour (strong plain flour) and it's really good.

Forgot to say that I get it at Taste or Wellcome.

I think it is also called Active Yeast and I have seen it at Wellcome and Park n Shop in the baking sections.

Quote Originally Posted by snagito:
    I think it is also called Active Yeast and I have seen it at Wellcome and Park n Shop in the baking sections.
    I got mine in Jasons Marketplace (Chinese brand). Do you know which place has the best selection of bread flour ?

Thanx guys,

Have tried packet yeast but the loaf didn't rise (even though using breadmaker!) & it resembled a house brick - in UK I used fresh yeast & loaves came out big & fluffy, just not sure what the problem is here. Using Marriages (Canadian) flour, which is supposedly bread making flour..........any suggestions?

Did you use the correct amount of yeast/sugar? I'm no expert but I believe the quantities are different when using active dried yeast

If you were doing a timed bake, did you keep the the yeast separate from the other ingredients (Especially the sugar)?

we have always used packet yeast in our breadmaker and had no problem with fluffy loaves. But I support the guy who said that it is different to live yeast and you do have to follow the breadmaker instructions. You might just have been unlucky too with a duff packet. Would give it another go before giving up!

I don't use a breadmaker. I use the dough hook with my mixer. To make a 2lb loaf or 2 12" pizza's, I use 3 cups flour with 1 tsp salt and rub in 1/3 cup butter, then I add the sugar (the more sugar you use the harder your crust is going to be), I then add one packet of dried active yeast. Mix it all in with your hands then add 10fl oz of warm water, again mixing in with your hands, 5 mins in the mixer with the dough hook and then put it in a greased glass bowl round side down then flip it so that the round side is up (and has some of the grease on the top), cover TIGHT with cling wrap and wait a couple of hours. I put mine on my duvet in the bedroom so it's nice and snug for a couple of hours.

Flour: I use either Hong Kong Flour Mills premium bread flour, Allinson premium strong bread flour or a Plain Flour of any brand.

I also use a mix of sugar and honey to give flavour but not such a crusty finish. It's all down to personal taste.

To Everyone Who Replied,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but thank you for all the helpful advice you have given.

Saphireruby - I am going to try your method as well as the breadmaker & fingers crossed I will have a lovely fresh loaf of bread....

I will still be on the lookout for live yeast & if I find any I'll let you know, once again, thanks.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast