Like Tree14Likes

Is it worth the money to buy an air purifier?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Where would you buy those HEP filters in HK? I like the $27 solution!

Look up the IQAir support centres. Or walk into any Fortress/Broadway and ask for replacement filters for any of their machines.

They usually cost a bit more than USD27 though.

Edit: Ignore it IQAir one. A box fan probably wouldn't have the power to blow through an IQAir HEPA filter.

Last edited by jgl; 02-01-2014 at 05:29 PM.
    Kfay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    To a tiny proportion of the population perhaps...
    having clean(er) air to breathe is only essential to a small portion of the population? If you say so.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Thirteen grand seems a bit excessive though! IQAirs are that much and have a lot more self published and third party data available.
    13 grand! crazy, where did you see that? Mine cost around 8k a couple years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalen N:
    having clean(er) air to breathe is only essential to a small portion of the population? If you say so.
    Is there a risk that breathing cleaner air for part of the day makes you more sensitive to the normal HK shite when you go outside?

I guess we have very different understandings of the word "essential".

13 grand! crazy, where did you see that? Mine cost around 8k a couple years back.
    From the Amway website.

http://www.amway.com.hk/amway/en/hom...t-system/1076/

I've had a closer look at the Amway. It looks fine but also much more expensive than comparable models from the standard Japanese brands with very similar airflow specs.

My own opinion is that most of the 3K Japanese models are probably the best place to be looking. That gets you a standard filter, good build quality and good noise/energy consumption.

My IQAir cost well under 8K, though I did have to carry it across myself from the States.
    Last edited by jgl; 03-01-2014 at 10:10 AM.

Will you use it? Will you clean the filter? Will you turn it on? I have one and many people have one, they are always off and those who have them on have clogged filters which absolutely does nothing. Save your money, is my opinion.

Not everyone is as lazy as you.

Some purifiers don't need filter changes or even cleaning for years, if three minutes of maintenace four times a year is too difficult.

At the end of the day, it's about how you value your health. There's no arguing that HK air is crap. How much damage it does is anyone's guess and will vary between individuals. It's a bit like wearing a safety belt in a car or a helmet on a bike. There are people who smoke, drink and do all kinds of things to their bodies so of course they'll say they don't need it/don't care. Others, treat themselves with more care and buy an air purifier because it's common sense to try to make something that is bad a little better. When you treat your body well, it's also a lot easier to see positive changes.

Jalen N likes this.