Like Tree14Likes

Is it worth the money to buy an air purifier?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is it worth the money to buy an air purifier?

Hey guys, I am thinking about buying an air purifier. We can't really afford the super expensive ones like iq air. Our budget is around 3000. So, my question is are those 3000ish air purifier really work? How well and effective do they work? Any recommendations, options, comments is appreciated.

The question back to you would be, do you have health problems that require you having an air purifier, if no then why bother.

Last edited by wtbhotia; 13-12-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    chris_yang22 likes this.

It's only worth it if you value your health

Bear in mind the residential ones will remove dust, mold etc but not toxins. So if it's air pollution you're worried about, it won't help.

No, I don't have any health problems. And of cause I value my health and my family's health. I just don't wanna invest money on something does little help to my health. That's why I wanna ask around and do some research before I buy thanks guys!

It's worth noting that the major source of pollution in Hong Kong is particulate matter, pm2.5 or pm10. Most HEPA grade filters can reduce the amount of that in your home. As others have mentioned it can also help against internal things such as mold, which is not uncommon in many HK flats.

In case you are wondering, this is the filter after a few months of operation vs. a new filter.

I use Alen filters which are pretty highly rated but not as expensive as the IQ Air

How do you keep your home sealed? HK homes are pretty porous and not very well insulated which will cause new and fresh air to come in continuously.

These devices do work in collecting crap (thats proven) but I dont believe they provide any tangible benefit so we have not invested in one...

I know many people in HK that immediately noticed slight differences after using an air filter. In my case, it reduces the recuperation time after long periods of exercise outside. I often have a scratchy throat and a cough after runs or cycle that are over two hours and it helps a lot. I have friends who have noticed their sleep improving, less runny noses and coughing. As mentioned, anything HEPA grade should do a decent job.

Sharp do an air purifier for around 3k.

My filters (Alen) aren't cheap. They're about $600 every six months or so (less if you have it on less, more if more, etc). In one of our smaller bedrooms we'll run it heavily to help with our kids who catch the "Hong Kong cough" quite a few times every Winter.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast