Oasis debacle with Citibank

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Oasis debacle with Citibank

Does anyone have an OASIS flight confirmation they can email to me?

I paid for a business class flight to London the day before Oasis stopped trading. Citi have told me they have dropped my claim as I don't have the flight confirmation.

I explained Oasis never sent it to me - and apparently this stops my claim dead in its tracks.

If anyone has a confirmation, please can you send it to me. Please to strip out all personal info, so I can recreate it and send to Citi.

Thanks!

I think that's known as fraud. Surely it will show up on your credit card statement - that must be better proof surely!

That is clearly fraud. You took a risk. You lost. Live with it and move on.

Apply to the receivers . They will have all the records of which one will be the Oasis record of the transaction with the confirmation code number.

All you need is the CC transaction information from your statement.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I think that's known as fraud. Surely it will show up on your credit card statement - that must be better proof surely!
    It is on my statement and I have registered it with the receivers. My guess is Citi want to do anything they can to limit the number of claims. Yes it is fraud but would take a lot of time and effort to take on a company like Citi but isn't worth it.

I would think its Citi's underwriters / insurers who insist on this paper work.

PDLM - have you canceled your Citi cards yet?

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    It is on my statement and I have registered it with the receivers. My guess is Citi want to do anything they can to limit the number of claims. Yes it is fraud but would take a lot of time and effort to take on a company like Citi but isn't worth it.
    If you have registered it with the receivers it is then a simple matter for them to retrieve the confirmation information and raise a letter to you ( if they cannot issue a certificate ) stating the confirmation IS valid and give the ref number. Citi cannot dispute that as the receivers hold the company legal title.

HKNewBi - I don't know, but what I would try in Europe is simply saying "oh, I didn't authorize this payment". As in "some waiter copied my card details and booked for himself". Then you'd get the money refunded _unless_ the merchant comes up with proof that it was you who booked the ticket. Which would be, imho, your itinerary Kinda going through the back door, but it might help. Best of luck.

PDLM - why don't you just stop replying to Oasis threads? It neither helps nor is it intended to help anyone, all you do is promoting your personal "how the world should be" point of view which, by the way, has been proven wrong quite often already since a lot of people are getting refunds. Remember this?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You will not get your money back if you paid with a Hong Kong credit card. Get used to the idea.
    If I may kindly remind you to apply that last line to yourself. They are refunding. Life is tough, isn't it....

Indeed - what I should have said (and which remains true) is that there is no basis in law or in the T&Cs of any HK credit card that I am aware of for people to receive a refund.

The fact that some card issuers are apparently breaking their T&Cs in order to do so is a worrying precedent. Who knows which bit of the T&Cs they will break next time - there's no reason to suppose it will always be in your favour.

A fair amount of their terms and conditions to the cardholder are governed by the operating agreements that they have with Visa and Mastercard, who insist on certain procedures being followed by the banks - when it comes to both cardholders and merchant accounts.

I'm of the belief that Oasis's merchant processor did not take appropriate measures to protect themselves and the transactions they processed.

For example from Mastercard's Rule book...

The Acquirer is responsible for ensuring that each of its Merchants complies
    with the Standards, and the Acquirer is itself responsible to the Corporation
    and to other Members for any Merchant’s failure to do so. The Acquirer must
    take such actions that may be necessary or appropriate to ensure the
    Merchant’s ongoing compliance with the Standards. Failure by a Merchant or
    Acquirer or both to comply with any Standard may result in chargebacks, an
    assessment to the Acquirer, and/or other disciplinary action.
    I cant find the travel guidelines on my computer .. but there are VERY specific precautions that the banks need to take, which I believe were not taken in this case.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast