Like Tree4Likes

where to buy winter wear

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

where to buy winter wear

Hi all, I'm traveling to Siberia with temperatures dropping to below -20C

Can anyone advise where I'd be able to get the appropriate clothing / gear in HK?

Thanks

http://www.chamonix.com.hk/

They have everything down to Antarctic-level RAB or Valandre expedition suits and high altitude insulated mountaineering boots. Sizes are a bit random sometimes.

They guy who owns it is a very serious mountaineer but he's often not there, the younger staff are not knowledgeable so it's better if you know your gear beforehand if you are doing anything adventurous.
    Last edited by jgl; 08-01-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Buy it in Siberia.
    The good stuff in Hong Kong, is very expensive
    The cheap stuff wont be that good - you can find some cheap stuff in Stanley Market...

kimwy66 likes this.

The shopping options in Siberia might not be so convenient though!

The good stuff is expensive anywhere, but off memory it's quite reasonably priced at Chamonix if you can find it in the right size. Certainly the high altitude mountaineering footwear is much cheaper in HK than in the US or Europe.

OP: What are you going to be doing- outdoors stuff or spending time indoors? And are you sure it's only -20 (or are you going when it warms up)?

Last edited by jgl; 08-01-2014 at 01:18 PM.

buy on line from the US and have it shipped here.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The shopping options in Siberia might not be so convenient though!
    We did it in Harbin (family of 5) - yea, I know its not Siberia but close enough

Just get a few bits so you can stay warm enough to get into a taxi and then straight to a shopping mall. They will have a huge range of clothing suitable for the local climate...Cheap and heavy stuff as well as the light&expensive ones.

I think its a lot better than trying to find it here, in the tropics or trying your luck with mail order...
    jgl likes this.

-20 isn't that cold, all you need is a big-assed hooded jacket, good gloves and warm boots. Maybe some thermals. Pretty easy to find in HK (except the boots if they are of the around-town variety).

There used to be a place that sold cheap and impractically warm North Face gear in the Silvercord Centre in TST. It might be this place: http://www.theoutdoorshop.com.hk/about.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bombastic:
    Hi all, I'm traveling to Siberia with temperatures dropping to below -20C
    Siberian Fur Shop in TST?

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    buy on line from the US and have it shipped here.
    Absolutely this. The better brand names here in HK will set u back 2-3x more than in the US so even with shipping costs factored in it will be MUCH cheaper to buy online.

Get a temporary shipping address in the US like with Shipito, Borderlinx etc.

Good luck!
    kimwy66 likes this.

I went to Alaska last winter ranging from -40 to -20C

Bought a jacket off Columbia US website shipped to HK. Cost around US$150. Similar jacket at HK Columbia cost around 4k

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast