The electronic devices

Closed Thread

Wink The electronic devices

I understand that the questions had been asked many times before. As I am new to HK, and I would like to know the latest developments; I will ask again.

The electronics are much more expensive (for example, TV) here than in US. For the latest LCD TVs, I could find TVs half prices on line in US comparing to HK. Did I compare the models wrong? Do people still sell their electronics in US, and come to HK to buy new ones, as the voltages are different?

Any success stories that people bring their high end electronics from US and use them here with converters?

Last edited by misNYCs; 29-06-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Hmmm....Honestly, If you want those latest LCD/Plasma TV or High end electronics, you should buy them in HK rather than the States. In general, for Japanese electronics, Hong Kong is among the first one to have them sold globally (thanks to the parallel importers). And I doubt your information about same item (or similar) are cheaper in the States. From my experience, North America is usually half a year to one year behind. Furthermore, HK electricity is 220V as compare to US 110V. You need to buy a transformer in order to use US spec electronics in HK.

Maybe I compared prices for different models in US and HK. Here is an example:

IN US:
    Sharp Aquos LC32D64U 32" 1080p LCD HDTV $768 at 6ave.com Click Here Discuss (7) : History : Tell : Posted 2:29 PM PDT 06/27/08 by Ben6ave.com has the Sharp Aquos LC32D64U 32" 1080p LCD HDTV for $1099 - coupon code AFLSHP768 = $768 with free shipping.
    32" at 1920x1080, 10,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, 6ms response time
    2x HDMI, 2x component, PC input, 176 degree viewing angles

It is a good size TV for a medium bedroom (1080p). I don't believe I could find similar price here. It seems that the new 1080p would cost above 1200 USD here.

Wink

If voltage is the only issue, I would bring over LCD TVs. Anyone cares to comment that they use US TVs and converters efficiently for a while? Any signals or format issues with the US TVs.

Thanks very much for helping

A lot of US TVs will not support the format used in HK, but a HK TV will always support US formats. I don't know if this has changed recently. I don't watch TV, so I don't buy them.

Don't bother using a transformer and shipping US TV to HK. It's not worth the hassle.

I do agree that prices in HK are more expensive in general for plasma and LCD TVs. My local HK colleagues said that HK used to have cheaper electronics, but prices have shot up (relative to US prices) over the past 3 years.

I was looking for a 37" LCD TV last year. In the US it was going for about $500 USD at the time. Here in HK, similar models were going for $800 USD.

The high street stores do charge a significant premium on flat panel televisions, that's why they have so many. You can save a lot of money even simply going to somewhere off-MTR like Tsz Wan Shan.

Plus basic economics, US = population 304 million, HK = population 7 million.

You have to have bought a really cheap crappy TV for it not to be multi-voltage (100,110,220v) and support PAL & NTSC resolutions and 50/60Hz frequencies. But generally only small electronics and computers should be shipped.

Wink

Thanks, guys, for all your advices.