Shenzhen questions...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Good luck with the visa application in Italy - everything is pretty much covered above, but with regards to safety I'll add my 2 cents. Shenzhen is no more dangerous than any other city in China - Lo Wu is a travel interchange and like all others from Guangzhou to Beijing they are a focal point for economic criminals, especially around Chinese New Year.

After 10 years in the city I am more nervous walking home from a country pub in rural England than I am leaving a club at 3am in Shenzhen. Just keep an eye on your belongings - wallet, mobile phone, books, (basically anything portable), - and you'll be fine. A few years ago, there was some hysteria over Shenzhen being this lawless city of crime, a view perpetuated by the Hong Kong media. I have never been pickpocketed, but two attempts have been made, one in Shenzhen, the other in Hong Kong.

The electronic markets at Hua Qiang Bei Road are potentially more dangerous becuase of the higher value items on sale. If you are carrying a new laptop all boxed up, you can bet it's worth more to a criminal than a fake Jimmy Choo bag.

Hope this helps - enjoy your trip

Thank You (all! ) for the answers!

Quote Originally Posted by supercat7
    The electronic markets at Hua Qiang Bei Road
    Where is THE BEST place in HK to buy IC, RAM chips and electronic components?

Be careful buying in SEG. There are so many fakes in that market. You do have to test them before buying!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bit Bucket
    Hi!
    This is my first post.
    I'l be in HK this summer for 20 days vacation. After reading this forum and other websites, I learned that there is a city named Shenzhen which seems the place to go for bargain!
    Actually I'd like to go to Shenzhen from HK for three things:

- SEG Electronic Components marketplace
    - having a taylor suit made
    - having a full body (2-3 hrs.) massage at a cheap price (no sex, thanks!)

Now the questions:

1) If I understood, since I am an Italian tourist, I don't need a visa but I just have to pay 100HK$ at custom border just after jumping out from the train to have my passport stamped. Is this correct?
    2) Since I am an electronic engineer, I started to have an heartache after reading about SEG! I have a LOT of things to buy, but... is it safe? e.g. If I buy a microcontroller, an eprom programmer or DDR modules at SEG, is it possible to receive a fake one? Any horror story to tell?
    3) Any suggestion for a tailor in Lo Hu? Is it possible to have my body measured in the morning and to come back in the evening to pick up the suit?
    4) Any suggestion for a cheap massage center with "NO SEX happy ending" in Lo Hu? A cheap but good alternative in HK?
    5) I traveled a lot (most part of Europe, USA and Japan) and never had problems with pickpockets, but reading reviews about Shenzhen, it seems to be more dangerous than NY Bronx at Night! What about the safety in Shenzhen (and in HK in general)? I successfully survived in Naples, Prague and Lisbon. I'll be able to survive in Shenzhen?

Thank You for your help and sorry for my bad English!

I definitely recommend testing any kind of component you buy in Shenzhen. I got sold a fake SD card a few years ago. I even tested the card in my phone, and it worked fine. Unfortunately, when I filled the card to capacity (2 GB) it failed and then fell apart!

Not sure I would even bother with electronics in SZ. They have a hard enough time faking low-tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth
    Not sure I would even bother with electronics in SZ. They have a hard enough time faking low-tech.
    Yup too right, Bought a few generic mp3's before for clients and they failed within a few months.

Hmmm... probably will be a better thing to buy electronics components in HK. Any shop (or shopping area) to suggest to buy such components, stepper motors, etc.?
    Since I'll go to Singapore and Kuala Lumpur too, any suggestion to buy ICs and stepper motors here will be VERY appreciated!

Sham Shui Po is the only place I know -its crowded, narrow aisles are packed with just about everything you need to build a pc... or a space shuttle. Again, watch your belongings.

Hi all..

i am also going to shenzhen this weekend with my friends and her parents and also my 1.5 years old baby.

i am from india and the friends and family are also from there. I am a little scared after readin gall this. Not that i havent gone to any such place before. But now we will be 4 ladies a and 1 baby travellign together and we obivously dont know the language.

we basically plan to shop around in louho and dongmen mostly but also plan to visit other areas along metro line on saturday and sunday.

We will stay overnight in a hotel in Louho area. I was just wondering about what time would be advisable for us to come back to the hotel ? is it safe to shop around at night?

Like HK, can we just shop aroud till 10 pm (or till whatever time the shop close)?

What areas will be no-go areas for us? any no-go time zones for this (like any areas where we should not go in dark etc.)?

any other safety tips you have apart from the one arleady given?

Thanks a lot for helping!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2