Like Tree11Likes

Cake Flour

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've used cake flour. pretty common in the states, though it's often common for a cake to be made with all purpose flour.
    won't help you now, and might not help anyone ever, but there's a place in FoTan that has a decent collection of cake baking supplies - when you get out of the MTR station, instead of going toward the palazzo and the Marketplace, etc., go down the escalator, keep going down the street the escalator puts you on, and it's a little shop on the right.

In our household we bake a cake about one every two to three years. During the lead up time the wife will page through a cookbook or watch a cooking show and will become inspired. Then comes the assembling of ingredients and tools . . . a date is chosen to bake the cake. Exciting. Then it happens. All the inspiration and fun turns into stress and chaos.

Maybe I should lower the oven rack one notch because the oven runs hot.
    Wait, does the oven run hot or cold?
    Oh no, I forgot to buy the spray oil. Can you run to the store and buy a can?
    Does it look done?
    Okay, I've done the toothpick test . . . what does it look like to you?
    Oh jeez, I should have started this hours ago. It's midnight and I still have one more layer to bake.
    Are the layers even?
    Will they stack straight?
    Is it cool enough to frost?
    Darn it, it's still too hot to frost.
    I hope it tastes Okay.

LOL.

kimwy66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    there's a place in FoTan that has a decent collection of cake baking supplies -
    There are small similar places all over HK. I tried: Wanchai, Yaumatei, Kowllon City, Sheung Shui, Yuenlong.

Best known are:

http://ilovecake.hk
    http://twinsco.com

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    In our household we bake a cake about one every two to three years. During the lead up time the wife will page through a cookbook or watch a cooking show and will become inspired. Then comes the assembling of ingredients and tools . . . a date is chosen to bake the cake. Exciting. Then it happens. All the inspiration and fun turns into stress and chaos.

Maybe I should lower the oven rack one notch because the oven runs hot.
    Wait, does the oven run hot or cold?
    Oh no, I forgot to buy the spray oil. Can you run to the store and buy a can?
    Does it look done?
    Okay, I've done the toothpick test . . . what does it look like to you?
    Oh jeez, I should have started this hours ago. It's midnight and I still have one more layer to bake.
    Are the layers even?
    Will they stack straight?
    Is it cool enough to frost?
    Darn it, it's still too hot to frost.
    I hope it tastes Okay.

LOL.
    This is pretty much the case. I do bake a bit but nothing complicated here in HK. My shoebox kitchen and world's smallest oven makes it a stressful experience.

Should the mood strike again, I purchased this about a month ago at MarketPlace by Jasons in Sai Ying Pun. I'm not sure if its a regularly stocked item tho.

The cake looks lovely!