Like Tree28Likes

Where to buy communist era statues?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Where to buy communist era statues?

Hi everyone.

I am looking to buy a communist era statue (maybe ceramic?) for a friend of mine that studied Chinese history. I have seen them on Cat Street above Sheung Wan, but I am worried about getting a bad deal since it is so touristy.

If you have ever been to the China club they have a bunch of these in their bar.

I don't need an original, but wondered if there was somewhere better than Cat Street for them.

Thanks!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Could you define "communist era"? The Communist Party of China is still in charge so that 'era' runs from 1949, when they come to power, to now.

Good point, Claire.

I mean statues of the Cultural Revolution like this:

http://www.zitantique.com/colorceramics.html

Thanks!

What do you mean by "better"? Price or quality?

If you're talking about the old Soviet-style, fist-in-the-air stuff, I'm under the impression that the only people who buy these things *are* tourists, or at least short-term expats with slightly dubious taste! In which case you're stuck with touristy places.

There's a small store on the corner of Lyndhurst Terrace and Hollywood Road that seems to have a reasonable stock of chintzy Communist memorabilia.

If your friend studied Chinese history, perhaps you'd be better off selecting a slightly less unfortunate and bloody part of history to select memorabilia from?

Last edited by jgl; 21-05-2014 at 11:23 AM.
    elle, HowardCoombs and Gatts like this.

JGL, I was thinking a good as in price since I am not buying originals.

Unfortunately, I am not educated enough to engage in a political discussion about this. All I know is that my friend that is way more educated in Chinese history than I am is interested and collects objects like this.

Anyways, I'll check out the store that you recommend when I am in the area.

Anywhere else?

everything on cat street are new reproductions.

Makes sense, dumbdonkey. I don't really need originals.

Is there a particular price I should expect to pay (or haggle to) for these types of reproductions?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    What do you mean by "better"? Price or quality?

If you're talking about the old Soviet-style, fist-in-the-air stuff, I'm under the impression that the only people who buy these things *are* tourists, or at least short-term expats with slightly dubious taste! In which case you're stuck with touristy places....
    ... and people fortunate enough never having had to live under those kind of regimes...
    bookblogger likes this.

I'm sure why everyone is trying to turn this into a political discussion... this is a shopping forum, right? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by chrizbo:
    I'm sure why everyone is trying to turn this into a political discussion... this is a shopping forum, right? ;-)
    Yes, but some people (me included) might have very mixed feeling seeing those things. Freedom of speech is a very good thing, and having spent my formative years under a regime where it was forbidden, cherish it as a privilege.
    Last edited by elle; 21-05-2014 at 11:44 AM.
    bibbju, Trance Omega and Gatts like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast