How do you buy meat at the wet markets?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by baajee:
    Conclusions ? common sense should prevail. OP give it a go if you're curious. Stop buying it if you get sick. Don't let other people's paranoia cloud what could be an interesting local experience.

Having said all that, I'm pretty paranoid about insecticides on my veggies (since I can't see em) ....
    So erring on the side of caution when it comes to vegies is ok but it's paranoia when talking about buying meat from wet markets? hmmm...

One other reason to get your meat at the supermarket: a 16-year-old girl was murdered and hacked to pieces recently and the police believe parts of her may have been sold off at the local wet market.

HK man charged with gruesome murder

BTW, that meat store near Leighton Center sucks. I hate frozen meat and they are really overpriced. The bigger Wellcome/Park 'N' Shop stores have better meat for cheaper.

coming from canada, everyone has deep freezes to freeze their meat, so i'm used to it.

their t-bone steaks are a little on the tough side, but after some marinating their great!

i don't think they are overpriced at all... bacon $24/lb~at least the last time i was there (1/2 of the supermarkets)

12 pcs 1.5" thick cut steaks $504!!!! That's $42/pc! NO WAY you can get such nice steak for so cheap at the supermarket!

but, to each their own!

This place is substantially better, but you pay for the quality:

meatmarket.hk

The place in CWB has good prices on some items, but I found the sausages had chunks of cartilage in them and the lamb chops were a little on the puny side. My mum still goes there on occasion though.

I find the Aussie beef available at the supermarket to be fine for the price. The amount of styrofoam that gets wasted in this city does make me cringe though.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 13-08-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:

The place in CWB has good prices on some items, but I found the sausages had chunks of cartilage in them
    Pretty much all sausages have chunks of cartilage and filler in them though.

Cheap sausages also contain more water, filler (e.g. rusk), additives and chemicals. The 'meat' used in a cheap sausage will often include skin, rind, gristle and bone

Cheap sausages often contain high levels of saturated flare fat which is unhealthy and bad for cholesterol levels. Lastly, economy sausages might contain pork cheek or jowl. These contain the pituitary glands which is where any drug residues or disease are concentrated, which might lead to risks for humans.

as taken from

Sausagelinks - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Hence why I won't eat cheap sausages.

Agreed, cheaper (and even not so cheap) sausages often have chunks of cartilage in 'em. Pretty much why I stick to lean beef nowadays. Thanks for that link Jimbo. You've ruined sausages for me for life. lol

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Agreed, cheaper (and even not so cheap) sausages often have chunks of cartilage in 'em. Pretty much why I stick to lean beef nowadays. Thanks for that link Jimbo. You've ruined sausages for me for life. lol
    Well just showing concern for your health bro!

I guess I'd rather know than not know. :P

Carang: I guess it's nice to be able to get cheap T-bones, even if they are tough and there's not all that much meat on them! A friend of mine gave me the address of another store in Happy Valley that stocks really good quality steaks (top-grade Canadian meat) and her discount card number (she's friends with the owner), but I can't recall what I did with the info. She gave me a couple of steaks to try and they were amazing.

I'll try and find the info on the place and report back.

To the person that red balled my opinions with the comment 'stop being such a wuss' - i'll say it in public to your face - what the f***? I guess I'm less of a wuss than you... even if i don't eat dodgy meat.

I categorically wouldn't buy from a wet market & tend to buy my meat (chicken) from the supermarket - I think it has a real chemical taste, fiance says I'm imagining things.......any one else experienced this? BTW: Dutch or Australian chicken, that is.