Where to buy espresso/cappuccino machine

Closed Thread

Where to buy espresso/cappuccino machine

Any ideas as to where to buy an espresso/cappuccino machine that does not have a big footprint? I would consider a good frother instead. Brand recommendations most appreciated.

Last edited by bctHK; 20-08-2014 at 03:13 PM.

There are a few dedicated coffee places such as Browns (or so) in Saikung. Or check it here:

Coffee Maker 咖啡機 - 廚房/浴室 - 家居 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

Nespresso have a range of machines, some of which have quite a small footprint.

Nestlé Nespresso: HK | Nespresso

you have three courses of action here...

1. you go all out - big machine, powerful pump, dual chambers, good conical burr grinder, the works
    - it'll cost you plenty, and take up heaps of space
    - you will need to invest serious time and effort learning how to use all the gear

2. you try to get something "small" and "tidy" that "fit's the budget"
    - you'll never make a good cappuccino with this, except by chance once in a while

3. you buy a nespresso and frother machine for around $2000 HKD
    - it's tiny, reliable, predictable and makes damn good coffee
    - you won't get a "real" cappuccino, but you'll get something that tastes great
    - at 7am, you won't be regretting being able to press a button and have an espresso

This announcement brought to you by Nespresso (TM)

The Color Brown has a dedicated coffee accessory shop next to its cafe.

Also, 18 Grams located in Post office alley sells the OEM brand that produced the Sunbeam EM6910 espresso machine ( which I have owned for 6 years ) which is a superb machine that with practice, will give you satisfyingly professional results.

I wouldnt say that the machines that both shops sell are of the small foot print if your idea of small foot print variety like a La Pavoni lever action would, or any of the budget priced nespresso units for example. But, they are of a solid construction, have up to 3 litre water storage capacity,have steam arms, a proper commercial grade group handle and they heat up to temperature quite quickly, while maintaining reasonably good temperature control when you are doing 2 or more shots.

anyway, worth some consideration. Both coffee shops are within 5 minutes walk from each other, if its a nice day, you can make an afternoon of it and enjoy a couple of cups of single origin coffees on top.

enjoy

Last edited by Skyhook; 20-08-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Many thanks to you all for advice.

I really appreciate all your comments. The last thread about this subject was from 2012. Someone had suggested looking in Sogo, which I did last night. Many brands and models. Some machines look complicated. The Panasonic store at Exit A3 in Wanchai has only two models, but the prices are better than at Sogo for the same models. Now I have a few other places to check out and some advice to consider. Thank you all.

Last edited by bctHK; 21-08-2014 at 10:58 AM.

Skyhook, you wrote about your Sunbeam EM9610 back in 2008. Good to know it is still working well for you. Do I understand correctly that this model is NOT available in HK? We will have a look at 18 Grams. Thanks again.

Check the classifieds, always people who have ventured part way down the path to true god-shots only to turn back after a few days/weeks ...

I don't mean to discourage you, but you really need to consider how far you plan to commit yourself.
    Check out The Five Elements for Good Espresso | Galla Coffee

1,2,3 are easy to achieve, just takes some $$$

4. Mano dell'operatore (Skill of the User) on the other hand takes a lot of time (and wasted coffee)

I'm saying all this as a die hard espresso/ristretto and cappuccino drinker who would love to be able to (reliably) make great coffee