Like Tree19Likes

Where to buy bulk cheese? (1/2 wheel)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where to buy bulk cheese? (1/2 wheel)

My roommate and I want to buy at least 1/2 wheel of mozzarella or parmesan. I'm sure all sorts of shops would love to sell that to us at retail price (haha), but does anyone know of a wholesale or restaurant supply source that would give a reasonable price?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You can't buy half a wheel of mozzarella. It's a soft cheese, usually sold in 100g (or so) balls.

reprazent and emx like this.

Make your own mozzarella.
    And yup you can't buy it in a wheel as it's a soft cheese with a short shelf life

If you are friendly with somebody who works in the F & B industry, you can buy cheese at very reasonable prices ie at near wholesale price.

I buy 1000gram blocks of Mozzarella for $70hkd via my ( eldest ) brother in law who is a chef, which he buys direct from suppliers that deal with the restaurant he works for. I also buy flour for the purpose of making pizza / foccacia / calzone / baguette dough for a fraction of the price that supermarkets savagely mark it up by.

Not exactly what you asked for, but you might find something of interest here
    The Dutch Cheese and More

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Make your own mozzarella.
    I don't think it's that easy.

There are a few wholesalers that sell to retail customers in bulk. Some of the frozen meat places have grated mozzarella for about $140 for a 2 Kg pack. The turk place place has it too.

Last parmesan lot I bought from a cheesy lady at the SaiKung Sundaymarket - next one is THIS Sunday.

PS: The Dutch is crazy expensive and has no price difference whether you buy 50g of 5Kg.

PPS: Yep, the turk has it too for $70/Kg
    http://www.letpacificfood.com/shop/m...s--urun50.html
    Last edited by flameproof; 05-09-2014 at 01:40 PM.
    Skyhook and matchstick man like this.

You could look at Eurogoodies Euro Goodies, Your Online International Shop

Skyhook likes this.

Or fill your suitcase on your next visit to Italy (like I do every year)

alexdown likes this.

Thanks for all the replies! I took your advice and asked the owner of a restaurant near my house--it's a small outfit and I eat there often. He orders mozzarella every other day, and he agreed to hook me up next time. It's $74/kg. It's ideal, since it's not grated so I can eat it with a knife like a barbarian warrior. And it won't cost any time. The packages are a bite-sized 2 kg. ;-)

After this, I'll try parmesan. If the restaurant owner can't get me some, I'll check out the farmer's market in Sai Kung.

P.s., Claire, jimbo, you guys know that cheese is stored frozen, right? Shelf life = 1 year. Though you may be right about "wheel" not being the usual form factor.

Last edited by matchstick man; 07-09-2014 at 10:11 PM.
    Skyhook and shri like this.

I've frozen mozzarella before. It's absolutely not the same when it comes out the other end. Fine for cooking with if you are not that fussy (I'm not) but for anyone who knows anything about cheese, no way. You do know mozzarella is not a hard cheese and comes in bags full of water, right?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast