Like Tree7Likes

Dyson vacuum cleaners

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dyson vacuum cleaners

I wanted to buy good vacuum clearer (bag less) for allergy and dust mites. After research I found dyson is one of the best. I checked it's price in HK and found that it's very expensive in HK. Even few models are available in HK. Any guidance where can I get dyson vacuum at good discount ?

Last edited by vroom; 12-09-2014 at 07:15 AM.

Judging by my anecdotal experience, Dyson is cheaper in HK than the mainland, so forget that route.

I doubt you are going to find a bargain on new Dyson's anywhere really, they are the Apple of vacuum cleaners.. how about second hand?

imparanoic and shri like this.

The Sweet Home website has very extensive reviews of non-tech things. It's worth reading their home vacuum review before you plunk down serious money for a Dyson. BTW, Dyson wasn't tops on their list. It was a Miele.

Their sister site is The Wire Cutter and offers extensive reviews of tech items.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    The Sweet Home website has very extensive reviews of non-tech things. It's worth reading their home vacuum review before you plunk down serious money for a Dyson. BTW, Dyson wasn't tops on their list. It was a Miele.

Their sister site is The Wire Cutter and offers extensive reviews of tech items.
    Thanks for sharing lnks, I will check those.

I found it hard to find bagless Miele and couple of models I found are expensive.

I have used a Electrolux bagless vacuum for 4 years, to be honest, can't see attraction of a designer branded vacuum cleaner.

it's not like you get enjoyment on vacuuming or a designer fan like as if it was a nice quality hifi at home, I rather spend HK$4000 -5000 on a Marantz cd player with usb

But everyone has their own preference on enjoyment

Quote Originally Posted by vroom:
    Thanks for sharing lnks, I will check those.

I found it hard to find bagless Miele and couple of models I found are expensive.
    One of the takeaways from what I've read on vacuums is that bagged are cleaner than bagless. There really isn't a good way to empty a bagless indoors. I've always done it on the balcony if possible. The obvious issues with bagged is the expense of bags and the loss of suction as it gets full. Trade offs.
    imparanoic likes this.

We have a Miele Vacuum cleaner in HK, if the disposable bags irritate you, you can order a calico bag that you can empty and reuse, saving quite a bit of money.

One word of warning though, you will still need to replace the internal motor filter every six months, or so, or you will likely trigger the thermal cut out, or worse, overheat the motor, triggering the thermal cutout, seize the motor/blow the starting capacitor, glaze the commutator with contamination that gets between it and the carbon brushes and ruin the shaft bearings.

You can buy the filters separately, I get ours in Australia, but assume that Miele HK do it here via their spare parts dept.

Last edited by Skyhook; 12-09-2014 at 10:54 AM.
    huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I have used a Electrolux bagless vacuum for 4 years, to be honest, can't see attraction of a designer branded vacuum cleaner.

it's not like you get enjoyment on vacuuming or a designer fan like as if it was a nice quality hifi at home, I rather spend HK$4000 -5000 on a Marantz cd player with usb

But everyone has their own preference on enjoyment
    I don't think people buy a vacuum for badge value - at least I don't. I suspect, like me, many want to make this burdensome task as easy and efficient at possible. Little things like a height adjustment lever you can tap with your foot is a small thing mechanically, but a huge improvement on bending over and adjusting by hand. Well thought out attachments and accessories make a huge difference. And naturally, good balance and maneuverability keep vacuuming a chore rather than turning into a physical workout. Unfortunately, these small improvements costs big bucks.
    Last edited by huja; 12-09-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    SalseroHK and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vroom:
    I wanted to buy good vacuum clearer (bag less) for allergy and dust mites. After research I found dyson is one of the best. I checked it's price in HK and found that it's very expensive in HK. Even few models are available in HK. Any guidance where can I get dyson vacuum at good discount ?
    If allergies are an issue, you may want to investigate an air purifier as well. We had a couple of IQAir units in Shenzhen and they were the most important appliances we had for obvious reasons.

You could ask someone to bring one over from the UK but you're probably asking them to give up a big chunk of their luggage allowance in doing so, depending on the model that you want.

That's how I got mine and yes, it is worth it, especially since they're half the price of HK ones.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast