Like Tree14Likes

Any suggestions for a good dehumidifier?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I highly recommend the Mitshbishi Electic MJ-E152AF-H : I am very happy with it; leave it on AUTO 24/7 on a 50% target humidity level and it will switch on and off as needed. Reasonably quiet even when sleeping. Works well to keep indoor humidity levels at around 50% all year round. Obviously it switches itself on less during the summer when the A/C is on and dehumidifying, so it works well as a standalone solution. The only issue is emptying the tank which can be every day to 2 days. I have tried a hose connector, but cannot really find a gracious way of organising a hose route from the dehumidifier to the drain.

http://www.mitsubishi-ryoden.com.hk/...doc/ib/255.pdf

http://www.hkele.com.hk/uploadfile/p...6165626420.jpg

I paid HKD4280 from Ming Fung Hong Co Ltd at 50 Gilman Street, Sheung Wan in early 2015. When it comes to dehumifiers, you get-what-you-pay-for and it is generally best to have high-quality low-noise models that will last.

I also found it was helpful to have accurate hygrometers: I recommend the TFA 30.5026.01

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...mL._SY355_.jpg

It seems to read exactly what the Mitshbishi Electic MJ-E152AF-H says; within reasonable variance of +/- a few %

Ambient humidity indoors makes a huge impact on overall ambiance / quality of life!

Last edited by dossier; 01-02-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    Whilst away, can you just put the dehumidifier in the bathroom tub; use a power extension cord and attach a small drain tube so that it drains straight into the bath tub? I'm just trying to work out the best way to leave it unattended

Original Post Deleted
    I leave the Mitshbishi Electic MJ-E152AF-H set on AUTO to target 50% relative indoor humidity; after which it switches off / on. Given airflow etc indoors, it is likely to be somewhere between 50% - 60% indoors as a result, even when it reads 50% on the dehumidifier.

From a quick google, most recommendations are for 50% (or lower) indoors:

"The ideal relative humidity in a British home is around 50 to 55 per cent."
    "Indoor humidity levels should be between 30 to 50 percent, with the ideal level being about 45 percent. So how do you determine what your home's situation is?"
    "Research indicates that for health and comfort, a relative indoor humidity of 40 to 60 percent is desirable. "
    "It must be fresh, clean, and have the proper humidity (less than 50% relative humidity). "
    "Ideal in-home humidity levels should hover around 45%"
    "If the air temperature is 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 C) and the relative humidity is 100 percent, we feel like it's 80 degrees (27 C) out. People tend to feel most comfortable at a relative humidity of about 45 percent. Humidifiers and dehumidifiers help to keep indoor humidity at a comfortable level."
    "Every homeowner should own a hygrometer that measures temperature and relative humidity (RH). The ideal relative humidity for health and comfort is about 40-50%. In the winter months, it may have to be lower than 40% RH to avoid condensation on the windows."

I'm always a bit surprised when some people keep their indoors at around 70 - 80%, but I guess its also down to individual preference.

I recently bought a TEFL 15L one but can't really get it below 70% in my main apartment area, is it just not powerful enough for the job? In my bathroom it will go down to 60/50% pretty fast. I'm a bit reluctant to leave it on all the time if it's not going down although it is collecting water

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4