Buy guitar?

Closed Thread

Buy guitar?

Hi!

Any guitar player who know if it's possible to buy some decent electric guitars in China? Chinese guitars have a bad-quality reputation, but is this a rule without exception?
    Also, any shops to visit in Chengdu, Guangzhou, Zhuhai or Hong KOng? I know about Tom Lee in HK, but can not find any others nor any in mainland China??

There's another chain in Festival Walk opposite Toys'R'Us which had some pretty decent gear.
    Electricity and mainland guitars would not be a combination I would look at wanting. You can get such good deals on guitars from trusted brands there is very little need to sacrifice pick up quality, neck finishing and the like for the sake of a few hundred dollars.

OK, thanks!

Yes, I have been playing for many years and enjoy quality, so I was really lookin to get a deal on a Music Man, ESP, or some other quality brand, but that may not be possible in HK (or China)?
    I live in Sweden, so american store prices are a bargain for me... Maybe Japanese made guitars can be found fairly cheap in HK, in comparison with Swedish prices anyway?

But it wold be nice to find some guitar shop in mainland China just to have a look and try out some copies... I know that sometime you can find nice samples in a otherwise poor line of guitars. It's just a matter of setting them up and change hardware and pups and they can be real playable...

Guitars made in China do have a bad reputation. Some deservedly, but only some. The ones that deserve a poor reputation are really quite easy to spot. If you know much about guitars, then you can decide what's acceptable, or at least what you like.
    Epiphone and Washburn are just a couple of companies that get a LOT of instruments made in China. People buy big name instruments made in Indonesia, Korea, The Philippines and Taiwan, so I can't see anything wrong with buying a Chinese made instrument.
    I build guitars here in Hong Kong by special request. I used to do it as my full time job in Australia, but there's too many sheep here that just buy off the shelf, or what 'everyone' says you should have. I don't bother with beginner to mid level instruments, or copies of boring instruments you can buy off the shelf.
    If you already know what you want, and where from, you could consider ordering online. It's best if you can give the specific instrument the full workout before buying, of course, but sometimes it's just not an option. If you're considering a Japanese made instrument, then you can probably rely on their quality control standards and consistency. I would never buy an American made instrument online. They're far more individual and need to be tested individually.

I have to go and take a look

Quote Originally Posted by Lammarite:
    There's another chain in Festival Walk opposite Toys'R'Us which had some pretty decent gear.
    Electricity and mainland guitars would not be a combination I would look at wanting. You can get such good deals on guitars from trusted brands there is very little need to sacrifice pick up quality, neck finishing and the like for the sake of a few hundred dollars.
    I have such an abstinence since I came here, not being able to play any guitar, so frustrating. Thanks for the tips, I really have to take a look in that store since I live in the nearby.