Stanley bargaining

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stanley bargaining

Is it true that Stanley Market is no longer a place for bargaining down the prices? Just take the price that is offered?

i only ever get a slight discount there, at least for the kids' clothes.

however, i bought a jacket there for my mum and they gave me a $100 discount just for asking.

i only ever round down slightly too between $10-30 depending on how much I'm buying.

On the subject - what about the Ladies Market in Mong Kok? I'm never sure how hard to bargain there, especially when some of the stuff is such poor quality and they pretend it's real leather etc. I don't mind buying low quality sometimes, but I expect it to be cheap and really object to be lied to! (Does anyone know how you can tell if something is real leather? A couple of stall holders held a lighter in the vicinity of the item and seemed to think that this should be convincing (it was not, especially the one that never actually got a flame to come out of their lighter!)

pmsl...they don't just do that lighter trick on cheap goods in Mongkok, they tried that on me in Florence as well when I was buying a jacket...I have no idea how to test leather as opposed to fake stuff...

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

The correct term is haggling and you can do it everywhere. It just depends how good a salesman you are[and how thick your skin is]
    You first have to get the correct adversary-it is not much use tearing into a lowly shop girl.Set your sights on an assistant manager at least

But my greatest coup was cutting out the store [Wing On]completely and haggling with another customer.
    I eventually bought his microwave for a pittance and he bought himself a new one from the store.
    Now how is that for a bargain?

Common language/culture seems to help as well. Mrs PDLM seems to be able to get quite good discounts from the Stanley shops/stalls run by Filipinas, for example.

if u burn leather, it should give off flesh burning smell, another trick is to cut out a piece and leave it in bleach, bleach dissolves the top (outside) layer of leather and u should be only left with the underneath skin but hard to do this while out shopping.

regarding bargaining, if the price is not labeled and just spoken to you, then you should definitely bargain, if the price is labeled and you are buying a few pieces then you should still try to ask for some discount. whenever i go to stanley i buy quite a few t-shirts, it might be like $89 each, i will still try to get it for $85 because i buy 5-6 pieces in one go or my wife will try for like $80 each.

In Mongkok the general rule is roughly 30% -40% off the stated price and you'll do well on the smaller items.

Bags they'll usually start off at $700 or some crazy price for a fake Chloe Paddington for example, they'll go down to around $250.

Haggling, right. Term escaped me the other day.
    Seems that Stanley prices are more firm than Mong Kok or Shenzen. A little bargaining, but none of that 50% off stuff.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast