Buying a decent mattress

Closed Thread

Buying a decent mattress

We made the mistake of buying a rock hard superking mattress. Now looking to replace this with a comfortable option. Can someone recommend a good place to buy a mattress? We have tried a few places in Horizon Plaza but want to shop around a bit more. Prepared to spend the cash for a decent night's sleep.
    Thanks

Basically, it boils down to: The big department stores such as Sogo, Wing On, the larger Justcos.

Plus a couple of showrooms run by the bigger American brands scattered around HK. There are Simmons showrooms in the Princes Building and in the centre across from Ikea in CWB. I've seen a Serta showroom in Shatin, but I'm sure that a net search would turn up something closer to HK (assuming that's where you live.)

Simmons

We spent 30k on one, still using it after 5 years.

try B&Q in Megabox (Kowloon Bay), we bought ours from there for 5k. spent some time trying it out, bouncing on it, got lots of strange looks from the locals.

wtbhotia- they have cheap(ish) innerspring mattresses in B&Q? Ones that are not rock hard like Chinese mattresses? That's good info to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    wtbhotia- they have cheap(ish) innerspring mattresses in B&Q? Ones that are not rock hard like Chinese mattresses? That's good info to know.
    to me 5K is not cheap(ish), i dont earn 100k per month so wouldnt waste like 30K for a mattress. I would rather buy a cheap(ish) car instead and try to add to the pollution that everyone thinks HK is full off. .

being used to rock hard army issued mattress, i could sleep on a 1" mattress and still sleep/snore like a pig, well thats what my wife says.

Alternative option -buy one of those softer "top" mattresses - i reckon that's why our bed has one (came with the boat) and it does the trick nicely (although I prefer firmer over softer, but not rockhard).

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    to me 5K is not cheap(ish), i dont earn 100k per month so wouldnt waste like 30K for a mattress. I would rather buy a cheap(ish) car instead and try to add to the pollution that everyone thinks HK is full off. .
    I certainly didn't mean it in a derogatory sense. Cheap(ish) compared to all the 15-30k mattresses available at Sogo. Until you mentioned B&Q I hadn't realised that there might be a more reasonable option.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I certainly didn't mean it in a derogatory sense. Cheap(ish) compared to all the 15-30k mattresses available at Sogo. Until you mentioned B&Q I hadn't realised that there might be a more reasonable option.
    Sorry JGL, my bad, didnt see the ?

i m in shenzhen right now, and the bloody mattress here in this hotel is really hard. tried bouncing on it and all i got was a thud, think i might have bruised some bones. Might have to go for a massage. Woohoo. claim the massage expenses for getting injured on business trip.