Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kanomad

dezcal / Clean your coffee machine!

Closed Thread

Thumbs up dezcal / Clean your coffee machine!

I just cleaned my coffee machine (Nespresso Pixie), it wasn't as dirty as I thought it would have been after ~18 months use

I used 3 tablespoons of Dezcal for the 0.7 litre water tank of the Pixie

In case you want to clean your machine out, I bought my dezcal Prubuy - tip: buying the powder in the container is MUCH cheaper than buying individual sachets, especially if you compare to the Nespresso branded sachets.

Dezcal is an industry stalwart, so you're safe with it and of course can be used to de-calcify any coffee machine

http://prubuy.hk/
    Ordered 30 October, Arrived 12 November
    Urnex Dezcal Activated Scale Remover, 35.27-Ounces
    $58.86 SGD $353.272 HKD

I've not decalcified a kettle since moving to HK. I guess we have very hard water here.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes. I was trying to remember when i typed it! Actually googling hard and soft water contains many more interesting facts like soft water has more sodium and results in cleaner clothes and softer skin!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Damn it for reminding me...

I find flushing out my nespresso, as i previously did with our expresso machine, with bicarb soda works.

My nespresso machine just broke

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    noooooooooooooooo - will you get it repaired?

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    It usually have two year free warranty, and I have noticed that they are doing year-end promotion recently, you should go check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    justjoe86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I've not decalcified a kettle since moving to HK. I guess we have very hard water here.
    There really should be no need to decalcify any of your water heater based appliances from coffee makers to electric irons. The WSD recommends a spot of lemon juice to remove the minerals that have accumulated in your electric kettle.

Below method roughly is what I do, once every 3 months or so, my Braun coffee maker is about 2 years old, coffee tastes like the first day I bought it.

Use distilled vinegar and nothing else, I use Heinz which is always available in my local wellcome.

Fill the coffee maker's water chamber with equal parts white vinegar and water. Using a paper filter, allow to brew until half the chamber is empty.

Turn the coffee maker off and let it sit for 30 minutes, then finish brewing.

Rinse the machine by using a new paper filter to brew a pot of clear water. Do this twice.

Fill the carafe with warm, sudsy water and some rice as a gentle abrasive. Swirl the mixture in the pot, then use a scrubber sponge to remove any gunk. Rinse and dry.

Wipe the outside of the machine with a damp cloth (but remember, this and the previous step should really happen every day).

from: Your Coffee Maker Is Full Of Mold. Here's How To Clean It.
    This method simple decalcify and cleans, if you haven't cleaned your machine in years, then probably a stronger agent is needed. I recall Krups making some.
    Last edited by justsomebody2; 01-12-2014 at 03:21 PM.