Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By chingleutsch
  • 2 Post By HowardCoombs
  • 1 Post By Mrs. Jones

Has anyone used a US sewing machine in Hong Kong? Are there any voltage issues?

Closed Thread

Has anyone used a US sewing machine in Hong Kong? Are there any voltage issues?

Has anyone of you used a sewing machine from US in Hong Kong? Are there any voltage issues? Should I consider buying one from Amazon US?

You need a 220v sewing machine in HK.

If you have lugged your machine with you perhaps rather than buying a whole new machine you could invest in a transformer

If not you can buy a machine locally.

Last edited by East_coast; 28-11-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Bernina, Brother, Janome and Singer all have local agents for domestic use sewing machines. Why would you order from Amazon?

Natfixit and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Bernina, Brother, Janome and Singer all have local agents for domestic use sewing machines. Why would you order from Amazon?
    Probably because it's 50% cheaper? As with everything on Amazon...
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    Probably because it's 50% cheaper? As with everything on Amazon...
    I have a feeling that by the time you ship that heavy sucker and buy an extra box for the voltage, the cost and annoying factory will far outweigh the savings.

Buy here, get the service and warranty here and no annoying extra boxes to lug around...
    imparanoic and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I have a feeling that by the time you ship that heavy sucker and buy an extra box for the voltage, the cost and annoying factory will far outweigh the savings.

Buy here, get the service and warranty here and no annoying extra boxes to lug around...
    The last time I looked Japanese brands were reasonably priced in HK. Juki, Janome, Brother. European brands had a premium and American brands were not very good value (anywhere)

thank you for the info ppl :-) Its of much help.. Yes i was considering buying sewing machine from Amazon US because its just half the price. But because of the warranty, I think it is better to buy from a local agent. Any suggestions whr to buy sewing machine in HK?

You can try the Singer Shop on Queens rd West., or there is a larger store which sells different models on the corner of Lai Chi Kok and nam Cheong Rds, Sham Shui Po. I use a Pfaff ( computerised), Janome ( manual) and Elna overlocker but prefer to buy any accessories from Europe or Australia.

Thank you so much for the info. Will visit these stores :-)