Like Tree29Likes

Slim wallet compatible with HK bills and cash-based economy?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    SlimFold Thin Wallet Black/Gray Original Soft Shell (Pre-order) - SlimFold Wallet

Started off as a Kickstarter campaign, I think. Not quite as thin as Tyvek, but thinner than leather and more cosmetically durable than Tyvek.
    I think we have a winner! Super thin, big enough for HKD, durable, crushable/stretchable to not deform into a triangular shape when you fill it up.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Maybe ditch those girls who inspect your wallet on first dates.
    Haha. The main girl that saw my wallet had some issues about being next to a guy that showed any signs of imperfection, thinking it reflected on her. Things did not work out between us, though she did get me another wallet!

Quote Originally Posted by matchstick man:
    I think we have a winner! Super thin, big enough for HKD, durable, crushable/stretchable to not deform into a triangular shape when you fill it up.

That one was in the list in the link I listed. I know this because I read the link myself and ordered two of them!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    That one was in the list in the link I listed.
    So it was! My eye passed over it because the model on that page is Tyvek. Did you get the little one or the big one?

My old wallet is falling apart, and I want something slim so I can keep using it in my front pocket. My experience with wallets are:

- They are huge, or
    - They are optimized for USD folded in half, and do not fit HKD as well, or
    - They are optimized for using a credit card only (cash is hard to access)

So I want a somewhat slim wallet (I do put a bunch of cards in it) that won't assume I only need a credit card, and won't assume I'm only carrying USD. Any good suggestions, or ideas about places to look? My old one was a gift, something by Tonino Lamborghini, and in addition to being more expensive than I'm used to, it started to tear after a month. (Though I should give it credit for the fact that it hasn't totally FINISHED tearing yet, and it's been a year.)

Being slim is the highest priority, followed by usability/price. Any thoughts?

BigSkinny

World
    matchstick man likes this.

That's clever verging on brilliant.
    What are things huja's wife never says to him, Alex?
    matchstick man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    That one was in the list in the link I listed. I know this because I read the link myself and ordered two of them!
    A usage report would be appreciated- I'll be considering one when my current wallet is due for replacement.

I did have a mulberry but that wasn't practical as it was way too thick. Could barely fit in the front pocket.

Fiancé bought me a braun buffel and it's way slimmer. And much more practical

So it was! My eye passed over it because the model on that page is Tyvek. Did you get the little one or the big one?
    Bigger one.

I can also report that I had the Obstructures aluminum plate wallet, and it's no good for Hong Kong. It's a pain in the ass to get cash out, largely because notes need to be folded three times to fit, and because it's held shut by rubber bands. RFID does not work as advertised, so have fun taking longer than everyone else when you pay by octopus. Looks very nifty, would not recommend at all:

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    A usage report would be appreciated- I'll be considering one when my current wallet is due for replacement.
    But my usage is not planned as a "normal" wallet.. I wanted it as an insert into my ladies purse so that my high-usuage stuff can be easily extracted for hiking trips. So it's not going to live in a blokes pocket..... and anyway the shipping email I got this morning suggested it might take 6 weeks to arrive!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast