Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Elegiaque
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By Elegiaque

Comfort fabric softener

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Comfort fabric softener

I've noticed that PnS and Wellcome are only selling the economy size bottles, rather than the ones with the handles.

Anyone know why?

This:
    Name:  PL106289.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  6.0 KB

Instead of this:
    Name:  comforthappyblue.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  22.7 KB

(Photos representations only)

Because they think there isn't enough trash in the landfills and want to fill them up some more! Generates good business for those incinerator developers.

In all seriousness, have you considered using white vinegar as a fabric softener? It works wonderfully well, and there aren't any mysterious ingredients in it, and it's generally sold in glass bottles.

Wait.... I'm a little confused, are you saying they're only selling it in the big bottles? That's actually an improvement!

Last edited by Elegiaque; 31-07-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    jgl and Drunken Master like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The economy size one seems to be a refill. It doesn't have the measuring 'cup'.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

In all seriousness, have you considered using white vinegar as a fabric softener? It works wonderfully well, and there aren't any mysterious ingredients in it, and it's generally sold in glass bottles.
    I'll try that. I hate the weird residue feeling that fabric conditioner leaves on my fingers after touching clothes.
    Elegiaque likes this.

I recall that, a loooong time ago, it was available in cardboard refill boxes - and suitably "waterproofed" for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:

Thanks for the tip. How much vinegar do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    Thanks for the tip. How much vinegar do you use?
    I usually just fill up the whole fabric softener drawer, if I have enough. You can add some drops of essential oils, which you can buy cheaply at this shop in Sheung Wan (they also accept bottle returns and reuse them):
    https://www.google.com/maps/@22.2858...7i13312!8i6656

Here's a useful guide (and she talks about some of the hazards of commercial fabric softener): http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-f...-dryer-sheets/

Your laundry might smell a bit like vinegar when you take it out, but after drying, the smell goes away, and I think vinegar really helps cut down bad odors (which is especially useful in the summer here in HK ). It won't be super soft like the commercial softeners, but it does help make things softer and I think it's much better in terms of knowing what's going on your clothes and in the water.

I also use an apple cider vinegar/essential oil mix to rinse my hair instead of shampoo.

Does anyone know where to buy vinegar in bulk? Or a place where I can refill my glass jars? Hong Kong is seriously lacking a bulk/refill store.
    Last edited by Elegiaque; 02-08-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    Drunken Master likes this.

Errm! I mean I use an apple cider rinse instead of conditioner on my hair! I do use shampoo.