Like Tree4Likes

contactless payments

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Criminals will always find a way. It's still easier to stick a camera above an ATM or a retail POS and collect info on card numbers and expiration dates - the traditional method of scamming cards. I'm not sure what the foolproof method would be - cash can be lost and stolen too.
    Ironically watched a movie called Plastic on the plane this weekend all about this: Plastic (2014) - IMDb

Just reading about Tap & Go. Fcuk me, talk about typical HK style convoluted process:

Tap & Go

Also as is again typically the case with HK, it only really works with one credit card company, Dah Sing.

Oh, out of interest, anyone know what happened to Three's and Citi's mobile wallet? seems to have disappeared completely from either of their websites.

Is that Theon Greyjoy (aka Alfie Allen)? Hah!

There used to be a BBC program called The Real Hustle (I think) and basically you can get your card scammed in a variety of extremely easy ways. A friend had her card details skimmed and the police advice was "only take out cash from an ATM inside of a bank branch when it is open" as that's the only card transaction they said they'd never had a report of fraud from.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Is that Theon Greyjoy (aka Alfie Allen)? Hah!

There used to be a BBC program called The Real Hustle (I think) and basically you can get your card scammed in a variety of extremely easy ways. A friend had her card details skimmed and the police advice was "only take out cash from an ATM inside of a bank branch when it is open" as that's the only card transaction they said they'd never had a report of fraud from.
    Crap movie, but pretty solid (UK) cast.

Credit card fraud has always been there, regardless of method of payment, and will always be there. I am pretty sure you are protected re credit card fraud in the UK (not sure about HK, but would assume so). Not sure about debit card fraud mind you.

So what's the advantage over Octopus?

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    So what's the advantage over Octopus?
    Well it would be accepted wherever credit card is accepted. i.e. you don't need another terminal to take the payment. also you would get credit card protection and credit card points. its not prepaid, its a normal credit card transaction but without the need to sign / put your pin in.

Well actually I still get CC points with my octopus spending now. Eg recharge $500 through AAVS and get 500 CC points (actually I get 1000 points since my credit card offers 2 points for every dollar)

shri and Rob2020 like this.

Thanks for the link, but this is typical mass media nonsense.

We were also able to read limited details of the last 10 transactions, although no cards revealed the CVV security code (the number on the back).
    'Stolen' details used to order TV
    We ordered two items - one a £3,000 TV - from a mainstream online shop using 'stolen' card details, combined with a false name and address. We've alerted the store involved.
    The CVV code is optional, but vendors are encouraged to use it, in this case the online store they purchased the TV from decided not to use CVV - as I understand it, vendors pay a slightly higher processing charge on non-CVV transactions

As with anything - there is risk involved, banks/credit card providers know this and factor it in to the system.
    As a consumer, it is our responsibility to check our statements and notify the credit vendor of any irregularities, convenience isn't completely free.

FWIW - you can go to Shenzhen today and buy a machine that can read NFC details from a few metres away - this isn't a secret, these machines are often used in conferences to track the movements of delegates

Personally, I'd rather have a digital trail of all my transactions vs taking the risk of losing some paper money

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Well actually I still get CC points with my octopus spending now. Eg recharge $500 through AAVS and get 500 CC points (actually I get 1000 points since my credit card offers 2 points for every dollar)
    So do I. However it goes back to the fact that Octopus terminals are not as prrvelant as credit card terminals. And the retailer requires a second terminal. With contactless retailer just needs one terminal.

Octopus payments and contactless via credit card, while very similar are two different forms of payment.